TV Buying... Best Way to Get a Deal, Cash Back, etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nonstopski, Jul 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've picked out a TV I want (it's the same model as the one my dad got 2 years ago, and now it's half the price and still a good TV). Trying to find out what the best way to buy it is to save some money. eBay seems to have it at the cheapest price, with Amazon in second.

Doesn't seem anyone is running any crazy deals like "buy any TV, get X free" which I have seen on occassion. So I guess it's mostly buy through a cashback portal from whatever site seems to give me the most bang for my buck.

But I'd appreciate any tips! It's a Sony LED TV, 48 inches, btw.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Costco.

Even if it's a little more money, I'd go Costco. They automatically double the manufacturers warranty, and you can purchase an even extended warranty from a third party for less than $100.

I had a Panasonic Plasma crap out on me five years ago during the second year, called Costco Concierge. They had me run a few tests, no dice. That was on a Saturday...on Monday, a repairman came to my house, tried to fix it, couldn't, gave me a replacement TV and fixed my old TV. All free.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just purchased a 50" LED "Sceptre" from Wally World. $349.00 +$49.00 for a 4 year parts and labor warranty. I just can't believe the price. Less than $400 and a four year warranty. (24 bucks to deliver)

4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX Doubles Manufacturers warranty as a no charge service.

5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try crutchfield.com. Great service and I did see an offer for a BOGO recently. You also get points if you register which you can use to reduce coat of later items. I bought 2 samsung smart tvs from them and various other. Equipment. Very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh and they have a policy that if the price goes down in 60 days they will return the difference. Which they did for me recently.

7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking of getting a COSTCO membership. It's across town in Washington, DC, but I have a car, and just buying toiletries and the like there seems like it would be worth it. I do buy things in bulk from Amazon a lot through Prime... and most of the items are the same price on Amazon. Except maybe trash bags. I also save money by not driving over there (and time). So it's tough. If I bought a costco cash card off ebay for a one time trip, I doubt that would get me the double warranty.

Also, buying at Costco still means I pay tax... which is why buying online is so tempting. But shipping a TV just seems like a bad idea.

Crutchfield doesn't have the tv in the size I want.

Will definitely buy with my Amex, but if I lower the card down to a no fee versions or cancel it in a year, wouldn't that void any double warranty?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Crutchfield has a good reputation. Sites where you can go through a shopping portal (like Skymiles shopping) let you double dip on points.
    I looked into a Costco membership, ran all the numbers, I'd have to move too much of my shopping there to get the payback on the membership fee. Combine that with the distance ($4 to $5 gas per trip, and 25 to 30 minutes round trip) and the fact that their gas prices are generally not more than one or two cents lower than the local stations, and it just didn't make sense.

Newscience and Betty Boop like this.
  9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had two TVs shipped (both from Crutchfield - one to NYC and one to CA) with no problems. One was 55" and one a 40". You have to open it before the delivery guys leave and inspect it. Ooops on one occasion it was left at my front door with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    Gargoyle likes this.
  10. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Crutchfield doesn't sell the TV I want. They have a smaller version of it, but not the size I want.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I've become a Costco advocate in recent years. The math is simple, as I get 3% rebate annually on all purchases. And I buy all my gas at Costco, as it's always cheaper than other gasoline stations in the area. When you do this and then add up the annual rebate, the price of membership is more than paid off. Obviously, YMMV. If the closest Costco is too far away, or your household grocery bill is small, it may not be worthwhile. Just one word of warning: Costco is nicknamed the "$200 store", as it's not always easy to leave the store without spending that much!

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In my case, the prices and selection didn't add up to justify the 3%. Gas is the same price or just one or two cents more closer to where I live. We have a couple of small family owned chain grocery stores (both Italian families with 10 to 15 stores) nearby with excellent fruit and vegetable selections at comparable pricing to Costco. The electronics selection was very limited and pricing was no better than I see at Best Buy or Amazon. Also, with two people in the household, our annual grocery bill just isn't that high. Add in the additional time and gas cost to drive there, and the numbers added to a net annual loss.

Newscience likes this.
  13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, so long as you pay for the TV at Costco with the AMEX, cash or debit cards, you'll be fine. AMEX has nothing to do with the warranty.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the math definitely needs to add up. In my case, going to Costco can save about 35-40 cents a gallon. The nearest Costco with a gas station is about six miles away, but considering what else I get there, it does make sense. And most years, I get about $15-$20 back above and beyond the cost of membership renewal.

Newscience likes this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have an unhealthy addiction to Costco. Their return policy is ridiculously customer-friendly. If they have what you want, the price is usually lower than anything else. And, as mentioned, the warranty service is very good.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe I have the same addiction :) and I am not going to seek help or even admit to it. I buy paper towels, TP, tissues in bulk for Mamma boopilini and for me. Can't leave without a roasted chicken or two. Frozen shrimp. And returns even without receipt they look it up and take it back. We digress from TVs though.

17. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh and with exec membership I always get both cash back from using that card and cash back from things spent on my membership number.

Newscience likes this.