Turkish Airlines club at ICN totally sucks

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by marcwint55, Oct 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I tried to enter the Turkish Airlines club at ICN as a star alliance gold member flying on united. I had no trouble with the Singapore or Asiana clubs, but the guy working at the Turkish Air Club first tried to lie to me telling me that Turkish Airlines was part of the Sky Team and when that didn't work he told me that one has to be flying on Turkish Air to enter. Since I had booked a facial at the Singapore club, I didn't spend the time to tell him that he was a complete a__hole and totally full of s_it. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe for fun, someone who is a SkyTeam elite should try to enter. Do we have a volunteer?

Flyer1976 and Sammich like this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's a first.

When he said Turkish Air was part of Sky Team did you just take out your DL Plat. card? :p
    (Damnit, I should have said OneWorld!...wait, he has that too?!)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would Turkish operate a lounge at ICN? Any chance it was a contract lounge?

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, but it said Turkish Air and they had pictures of Turkish Air credit cards in front of it also.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did it have a *G logo in front as well?

7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer to that.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Star Alliance lounge finder http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/status-benefits/lounge-finder/

Only lists Asiana lounges as ones that you would have access to if you were United Gold or higher with a Business or First tickets.

It does the same if you were top TK elite and with TK First ticket. So TK definitely does not operate a Star Gold lounge at ICN, and likely doesn't operate a lounge at all. Perhaps it has a contract lounge for its passengers.

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    TK use a contract lounge in the satellite terminal (operated by MU IIRC). TK hands out invite cards out check in (landside or at the gate if connecting).

No problem visiting the SQ or OZ lounges (as long as they are open) when flying TK business or as *G.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    marcwint55 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the OP was wrong, mouthed off to the agent at the lounge they weren't entitled to enter and then came here to rant about how awful the situation was??

Awesome.

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately you've never made a mistake.

It is good to keep in mind that one is on MilePoint, a friendly non-snarky BB, instead of one of the others.

alfagirl and marcwint55 like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I make mistakes all the time. But I generally don't call other people assholes or suggest they're full of batman when I do. I own up to it and admit my mistakes.

In this case the OP was completely out of line at the airport by his own description . And I have no problem calling them out on that.

The OP could have presented the situation as, "I tried to use the TK lounge and was denied access. That doesn't seem right to me based on my *G credentials. Has anyone else had that experience?" Instead they fought the lounge agent (who was right, by the way) and then, when informed again that access was not permitted, was magnanimous enough to walk away and start calling them names here rather than in person. :rolleyes:

If we're aiming for a nicer, friendlier community then it should probably start with the way members treat the airline and airport employees. That would go a long way IMO.

13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding your above comments Seth, I am obviously wrong about the admission to the lounge and gladly accept that.

Regarding your comment about my treatment of the attendant at the lounge, I was neither rude or impolite to him which is more than I can say about some of the comments you have made regarding fellow members here.

When I made the original post, I thought I was correct and gladly now stand corrected, however the attendant telling me that Turkish Air is part of Sky Team makes him an a__hole in my opinion and that will not change.

redtailshark and theworldofmarye like this.
  14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you visited what passes for the Star lounge at SGN?

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the lounge that TK is using at ICN is really operated by MU, note that MU is a member of SkyTeam. Maybe this explains the SkyTeam comment by the lounge dragon thhe OP encountered.

However, I'm surprised that MU would have a lounge there, since its SkyTeam partner KE has lounges in both the main and satellite terminals at ICN. OTOH, if KE divorces DL soon, I guess it's good news that there's an alternative SkyTeam lounge in the ICN satellite terminal.

16. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps everyone will divorce DL.... that will solve the problem :p

A_Lee likes this.
  17. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really i make more then 60 flights per year with Turkish Airlines and have never seen such thing.

BossWass, MoufidaLAA and ProfEssaied like this.
  18. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to in a few weeks (heard it was a contract lounge) should I plan to camp out there? :)

19. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:

marc, serves you right on crossing party lines :) coming over to my side at Star :) I thought you were a staunch one world guy? :)

PS we are way overdue for a LAX meetup (lets get something on the books) Safe Travels

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm keeping United 1k and AA exp just in case one of the airlines manages to piss me off by changing rules.

Flying Machine likes this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can just about guarantee that will happen

marcwint55 likes this.
  22. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do you feel the need to put other people down on these boards?

Marc is a really nice guy.

In person, you are a nice guy too. Try to remember that. :)

-David

23. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The snark and the 'tude started with the OP. Mild sarcasm for effect to highlight that he was in the wrong is wholly acceptable.