Turkey to Build Worlds Largest Airport in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Airports' started by sobore, Jan 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/01/23/turkey-to-build-world-largest-airport-in-istanbul/

Turkey plans to build the world's largest airport in Istanbul as the government seeks to transform the country's biggest city into an international flight hub, Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim said Wednesday.
    The new airport will occupy a 77 million square meter plot along the Black Sea coast of the city's European side and have a capacity of 150 million passengers annually when completed, Mr. Yildirim said at a press conference in Ankara. He said the tender process will start with ads in national papers on Thursday.
    Turkey's biggest airport, Ataturk, currently handles 45 million passengers annually and Istanbul's second airport, Sabiha Gokcen on the Asian side, accommodates 15 million passengers, Mr. Yildirim said. London's Heathrow is the world's largest airport, transporting about 70 million passengers annually. Dubai, which matches Istanbul's two existing airports with 60 million annual passenger capacity, is expanding to accommodate 90 million people by 2018.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/01/23/turkey-to-build-world-largest-airport-in-istanbul/#ixzz2IncvliNW

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing news. :)

3. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the government guaranteeing the number of passengers as part of the deal, I am guessing we are going to see a lot more of the cheap flight through and to Turkey that we have seen in recent months!

Their time frame seems pretty quick for all of this to go down though?

zphelj, sobore and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call it ambition! [ Wake up LHR as competition looms large! ]

sobore likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Turkish going to buy a Emirates-sized fleet of A380s, or how are they going to use that airport capacity?

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing they want this for the Olympics they're bidding for?

merice107 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Olympics are a one-time event, and I doubt that they are going to get 150 million visitors per year due to the Olympics :)

merice107 likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they want to show they are committed to making it go smoothly and a new airport works for that.
    Also it is big to remember that countries will often overbuild for an Olympics in the hopes that stuff will come up after. Heck London built so much they started destroying roads the day after the Paralympics ended.

merice107 likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It seems (based on very limited Google searching) that the London Olympics has less than 600,000 visitors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...t-London-2012-Olympics-boosts-UK-economy.html

http://www.theweek.co.uk/olympics/london-2012/47177/how-many-tourists-are-coming-london-olympics

That's perhaps roughly double the numbers in regular years for the city.

Granted, visitors to London could come by train and/or ferry from the continent, but I still don't think it takes a 150,000,000 pax airport for that level of traffic.

So I think it's simply Turkey's and Turkish' ambition to compete with the middle-eastern hubs and carriers.

10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the Olympics are a way of putting a country on the world front. Also the Olympics is not a single event. You have to also include the Paralympics within that which adds about another 25%.

Anyway it seems that since they are bidding for the 2020 Olympics they're aiming to have this airport open for before them. The thing about the Olympics though is yes, they don't require 150,000,000 a year but they require huge surge capacity. Heck the Olympics led to the busiest day in Heathrow's history. And that kind of traffic likely cannot be handled by Ataturk, or even a combination of both Istanbul airports.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...to-open-athletes-only-terminal-for-Games.html (surge at Heathrow)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That kind of makes my point, though: they didn't build an entire new large airport (and where would they), they did a temporary "hack". Isn't that also the approach that's nowadays popular for a lot of the Olympic venues, since historically they have turned into unused ruins?

12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but that just means an airport fully capable of the load would be even more attractive to organizers.

uggboy likes this.
  13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Turkish seems to balance their orders between both A and B. Their preferred long haul aircraft for long routes seems to be B77W and for shorter roues the A333. For shortaul routes they have a ton of 738's as well as A32x family.

I don't think they've ordered the A380 nor B748, and not sure about A350. But if they're not slot-constrained, it gives them a ton more fleet and capacity flexibility to max out at B77W/A350 and be able to seasonally adjust demand.

14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My real question is - how far away will this airport be, and will Turkey build some decent train link into the city? Ataturk is reasonable although the traffic conditions and routes are marginal, around a 40 Euro fare with an unpredictable amount of time. If the new airport is a lot further away, I hope they make it reasonable to access the city.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....we're forgetting one very important thing. World's largest airport by passenger volume should mean some ridiculous lounges!

skyvan and sobore like this.
  16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) Yes, now we are talking. Nice, new lounges with lots of extras! Should be interesting to see if airlines try to outdue each other in this new environment.

skyvan likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another mega hub.......???

Im no travel industry expert, and know even less about the Turkish Economy, but, I have to question how many more regional mega hubs can the airline industry digest. I have to wonder what the risk of these huge airports becoming white elephants really is... unless of course Im mistaken and the growth of Turkey alone will ensure this new airport will pay for itself. I guess I just feel that the other current regional hubs that will compete with Turkey are not just going to sit there and do nothing.... or...???

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then again.... if all (or most) of the $$$$ is Government owned, then the issue of economic feasability is of course secondary. Forget what I posted above....

:rolleyes:

19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Side question.... how many pax does Singapore's Changi handle each year....?

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    46.5 mil in 2011.

Gaucho likes this.
  21. kavinaron

kavinaron Member

Status Points:
    Turkey is going to become costliest city in the world.Well that's a great news for all the Turkish people and as well the travelers.

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IST has a reasonable portion of O/D traffic. By that measure it's potentially a more reasonable hub than DXB or AUH.

In general Turkey is more tolerant too

Will we get real *A cooperation? Seems unlikely beyond lounge access. I find it weird how SQ and TG don't cooperate. SQ doesn't use UA for domestic US code sharing. TK partners with B6 for US connections. There's a lot of dissonance with the alliance.

kiwi and sobore like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is that going to happen....?

24. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to Nisantasi?

25. Gaucho
    Original Member