Tucson Call Center Closing At End Of August

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sukn, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a day of bad news, there is even more. And the title says it all. Apparently the employees were informed this morning.

Tucson is generally regarded as the best call center and they will be missed.

Executives from AMR flew down to deliver the bad news today.

Agents will be offered work at home jobs or the opportunity to move to the Dallas call center but both of these will come with significant pay and benefits reductions.

The agents are all in shock at the moment. Many of them have been there for decades.

Perhaps we need to start some sort of petition to save Tucson.

August 24th is the exact closing date.

sobore and perryplatypus like this.
  2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tucson is/was my favorite center. Agents are just awesome!

anabolism likes this.
  3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were elite desks located there or was it just regular customer service?

4. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tucson has the best EXP desk. If you were to call in the late evenings, you were almost sure to get one of their excellent agents.

anabolism, perryplatypus and Skye1 like this.
  5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Joining this growing chorus of praise for the Tuscon office, best in the system. Like others, when I lived in the US, I'd wait until late to call, as yes, calls often got routed there.

Have never had anything but an excellent experience when calling them, and have often e-mailed AA that they need to "use" the agents in Tuscon to show the rest of "their" world how it's done.

So, so very sad, for us as customers not to have this great resource anymore, and more importantly, for those affected. Huge sympathies to the employees involved.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just got off the phone with the EXP desk to check on the ticketing status of my OW award I booked two days ago. The AAgent on the phone was looking at my itinerary and said, "Oh one of my friends in the Tucson office booked this for you....". Made me a bit sad. She was so friendly and helpful, and she must be having an awful day.

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Discussion here in Tucson is that the Closing is based on the Bankruptcy. They will be able to lay off full time employees and move them to "Independent Contractor" Status at home. That means no pension, no health benefits, no Social Security, etc. The only good thing for the AA people is that the center has been around since 1992, 20 years. So some of the longer term people will be able to retire, hopefully with some benefits.

AA needs to review this decision.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very sad indeed!:(

9. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Copying my post from FT:

It appears all Tucson job positions will be converted to work at home with loss of all benefits including medical and holiday pay and a pay cut of about $4/hour.

Basically, phone agent positions are divided into three levels.

Those who work the general phone lines, those who work the international desk, and those who work the EXP desk.

Employees working the general and international phone lines can choose to work from home or move to DFW or RDU. However, if they choose to move, it has to be on their own dime. They will also lose all current benefits in their new jobs since the new reclassifications for low level positions comes without benefits. However, if they choose to move, eventually they can work their way up to the EXP desk since those positions do come with benefits.

Now for a bit of good news for at least the EXP agents. Tucson EXP agents can choose to move to RDU or DFW and the company will pay for some part of the relocation. As EXP agents they will not face a cut in pay but the medical will be impacted somewhat -- higher copays and such.

Currently the agents get paid for ten holidays, which will be cut down to five. Right now if an agent works on a holiday, they get double pay. But in the future, if they work on a holiday, they will only get time-and-a-half. Meaning that an agent scheduled to work on a holiday will only be getting paid half their normal salary for coming to work on that day.

I don't know about most people but on a holiday I would rather stay home and get for a normal days pay rather than go in just to earn an additional 50%.

With a lot of the agents not being the primary bread winner in their household, a move might not be justified for them and they are the ones who will be impacted the most. Not to mention we EXPs will lose their excellent service.

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a thought, and apologies if it's inapporpriate here, but I should think that with so many here being so well aware of the excellent work ethic that these professionals exhibit, if any had or remotely knew of an opportunity or the possibility of one at their firm or anothers, there may be a way to properly communicate so if needed. At least you'd know you're dipping into a really good pool.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've written tons of letters to AA over the past few years to praise specific Tucson EXP agents. Very sad news.