Tube could run 24 hours a day during Olympics

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by tom911, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A working group has reportedly been set up with members of Transport for London (TfL), the Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and Transport Salaried Staffs Association to explore the possibility of offering round-the-clock services between July 27th and August 12th next year.

However, unions and underground bosses are expected to disagree on the pay of those staffing the 24-hour service, with RMT boss Bob Crow already accusing Tfl and London Mayor Boris Johnson of embarking on a 'campaign of spin' over the issue.

Mr Crow said: 'The hard fact is that there is no agreement with the unions in place for operating hours, volume of service, staffing levels or payments for next year's Olympics.'

2. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who love to visit London, 24 hour tube service on the main lines (i.e. Picadilly, etc) would be a wonderful asset!

3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even now a few extra hours would be great.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting if they can make this work. I've been over three times since November and every weekend there's an assortment of Tube lines closed for maintenance. Will the entire network be in physical condition to run 24 hours a day over a sustained period of weeks without maintenance windows? I'm just not sure they'll be able to do it.