TSA: Woman tried to bring stun gun on plane in NYC

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by PhlyingRPh, Jan 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a lot of details, but a woman appears to have accidentally tried to take a flashlight/stun gun in her carry on bag and rather than being told to "check it or lose it" is arrested. I wonder why this individual was not given that option? What made her different that it was necessary to arrest her? I wonder what it could be?

I selected the Yahoo! version of this story, not for it's journalistic prowess, but because I suspect the combination of TSA + Stun Gun + Chinese student in America will provide some interesting post-script comments...

http://news.yahoo.com/tsa-woman-tried-bring-stun-gun-plane-nyc-162132825.html

N965VJ and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    N965VJ likes this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    A combination of Logic, math and a disrupted sleep pattern have resulted in the following calculations on my part...

1) There are 2 million airline pax per day in the US
    2) 20% of the population are idiots (via Paretto). 400,000 idiots are flying in the US on any given day
    3) 2 Guns caught per day corresponds to 0.0001% of flyers and 0.0005% of the "idiot" cohort

Either the TSA is not catching enough of the guns passing through their checkpoints, or idiots are forgetting to pack them in their hand luggage.

N965VJ and goalie like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: This is a trick question, right? ;)

N965VJ likes this.
  6. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    When the TSA finds a "weapon" a LEO is summoned, so it's probable that stun guns are illegal in New York. Remember when that singer was arrested in IAH a few years ago for having a collapsible baton (a stage prop for her act) in her bag? It seems those are illegal in TX