TSA tests shoes-on airport screening

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/337210/tsa-tests-shoeson-airport-screening

The US Transportation Security Administration had began a program aimed at speeding the most frequent travelers through airport checkpoints without the usual security measures such as removing shoes.

The pilot program, called PreCheck, is at four airports, in Miami, Dallas, Detroit and Atlanta, and includes only travelers who have been invited by the TSA and approved after background checks.

“We are looking at how to further enhance security through passenger pre-screening and, whenever possible, expedite the screening process for travelers we know and trust the most,” Transportation Security Administrator John Pistole said today in prepared remarks for a conference in Amsterdam sponsored by the International Air Transport Association.

As many as 8,000 passengers per day are expected to move through the expedited checkpoints, Greg Soule, a TSA spokesman, said Sept. 14. The program is voluntary. Approved passengers will receive coded boarding passes that enable TSA agents to refer them to a separate screening lane, Soule said.

Read More: http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/337210/tsa-tests-shoeson-airport-screening

Lufthansa Flyer, rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  2. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope this test is considering successful enough to roll out to all airports. The shoes-off rule is one of the biggest contributors to those long security lines.

As an aside, I always take mine off out of habit now. I've received some strange looks in foreign airports after taking my running shoes off, only to realize afterward that nobody else has...

TAHKUCT, rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it? It doesn't take me that long to take them off when I get to the conveyor belt. Not that I like taking them off. What usually stalls me is someone failing the metal detector three times due to coins, watches, excessive ring/bracelets/... and the nude-o-scopes appear to introduce a new bottleneck, too.

4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely an inconvenience, but I think most frequent travelers have moved to slip on style shoes, which in my mind makes it a wash.

I also instinctively start taking my shoes off at non-US airports then pretend I was just testing the tensile strength of my soles or something, so as to appear less of a dork.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think one of the biggest contributors to the long security lines are people being unprepared for security. As I approach the belt, my phone, keys, money clip and watch are already in my carryon, my belt is unhooked and I'm usually wearing slip on shoes for this purpose. One of my biggest complaints is going through the expert traveler lane (unfortunately, MCO doesn't offer elite lanes) and finding people with children and strollers and people who are incredibly surprised that the watch they're wearing and the change in their pocket set off the metal detector. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I see it as a lack of consideration for fellow travelers.

N965VJ likes this.
  6. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, this is incredibly funny! I think I've probably pulled that move a time or two myself.

Scottrick likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This kind of behavior has been around long before the TSA's entrance.

8. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I agree. This type of behavior seems to be all too common in Central Florida, as a whole.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes, I am mystified by some TSA policies. The only time I've taken my shoes off in the EU or the Middle East/Asia in my many travels in the past two years has been when I've had on my Birkenstocks (big metal buckles) or asked to do a random secondary screening (1-2 times). Yet, those same running shoes are a big threat to the TSA....even with that expensive nude-o-scope...
    :)

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    It adds a bit of time, but not much if you wear slip-on shoes as I do. By far the biggest delays are the strip-search machines and the interrogations taking place at Boston (and a handful of other places).

rwoman likes this.
  11. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or even FFs that are futzing around with keys, loose change, etc. while putting their stuff on the belt. :rolleyes: