TSA Set to Trial Trusted Traveler Program This Fall

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by BurBunny, Jun 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll believe it when I see it (2)

Grace likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be smart if they offered access to the program to those who were already screened for the Global Access program.

4. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ==

I agree. Let's hope the people involved even know the Global Entry system exists.

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also could be offered to those who have Nexus as well, but the problem is, those that use Nexus as ID seem to always have a problem with the TSA, maybe if it was offered as well it would clear up that problem.

canucklehead likes this.
  6. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Let's hope it's not just for US Citizens again!

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reaction 1: I have full confidence the TSA will screw this one up too.

Reaction 2: Guarantee they're going to be clear (pardon the pun) on nobody being exempt, and say that at anytime, members can be selected for a secondary. In other words, leaving the door open for malfeasance and retaliation by its screeners (with no accountability, of course).

Grace and essxjay like this.
  8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with the TSA is their policy, which I don't know if I have the right to say, but still their policy. They treat everyone as a potential Threat instead of customer, even senior and child. I was very sad once when I witnessed an agent ask the father of 3 children to accompany him to the secondary inspection in a very unpolite way. They could be right, he could've been a threat, but what my eyes saw was a father of 3 children making the best to guide his family home (we were departing from MCO)! For me and in my opinion alone it's no right some actions TSA have on some people. Like I said it's their policy for our safety, but sometimes I just don't understand how could that justify. I think there are other ways to make this transport safer for all of us. It's very hard to imagine that someone traveling with his/her whole family could possibly be a threat, then again that's my opinion, probably a naive one consider the heads of TSA. In the end we do have to respect their jobs, for our safety, at least until the liberty can break free from the safety prison!

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would make sense to start with Global Entry/Nexus members but I suspect it will be geographically-tested and use a whole new screening process and recruitment procedure. 10-years and they're only now getting to this point...

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True, but they could start at a location like SFO, which likely has a significant number of Global Entry flyers. Not that I am being selfish in suggesting this or anything :D

But yeah, it's an entirely different bureaucracy, so we can expect that they are going to completely reinvent the wheel from scratch.

11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doubt it will be SFO, what with the contract screeners. If they do it (and that's a big IF), i suspect it'll be somewhere that TSA runs. They've had a number of "test" airports in the past, like BWI.

I'll believe it when I see it. And I'm assuming that the union won't try and prevent it as the faster they move some passengers through, the fewer jobs for them

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good point, sadly.

13. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see airport security revert to something more cursory for all passengers. Buying my way through frequent air travel to the "elite" security line (or hotel queue) is one thing, Buying my way out of a groping search that my grandchildren and others still may have to undergo is another. I remember how flight crew unions were complaining about the safety of their members undergoing those frequent X-Rays until the TSA hastily promised them exemptions. I'd hate to see frequent travelers to get bought off in the same way.

Clocktower likes this.
  14. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    In which case, this program doesn't actually buy anyone trusted traveler status. I won't pay for the privilege of maybe better treatment and probable mishandling of my personal data.

Grace likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The likes of Citibank are already busy losing my personal data, and the government already has lots of mine from background checks etc., so that's not the greatest worry. The question is how likely one will be subjected to secondary screening as a "trusted" traveler. It's not going to be a 0% chance, of course.

Concerto likes this.
  16. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And whether is does anything more than "get to the front of the line".

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think it will be more than that.

Think about it from the TSA's perspective: They need to quiet the people who criticize them the most; who are they? Frequent fliers, because we have seen the nonsense they regularly do. Frequent fliers usually speak from more experience, having seen way more than Ma and Pa Kettle.

This way Ma and Pa Kettle, the ones who don't mind the security theater and always say "oh, thank you TSA for saving us," will be the ones getting more attention at the checkpoints.

Another thing I fear is that screeners will get a lot more anger from the traveling public, specifically those who fly some, not enough to be elite, but can't be called a Kettle. Leading to some more confrontations at the checkpoint.

18. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would welcome that anger. We already know of the plan to exempt air crews. That happened hastily when the pilots' union went public with their health concerns about the X-Ray scanners. We already know that many airport employees are screened inadequately if at all, and that it would be a practical impossibility to run adequate security checks on all of them, especially those who are recent immigrants from Third World countries.

As I said up-thread, I'm happy to have earned my way into certain elite lines, but I don't want anybody, including those near and dear to me who aren't frequent travelers, to have to choose between the groping search and the X-Ray scanner, or possibly undergo both just to get on a plane, even if I waltz through without a hand or an X-Ray beam touching me.

Just because the government itself organizes the payment of Baksheesh doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

essxjay likes this.
  19. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    As would I. We need larger slices of the pyramid to get ticked off and mouth off about it.

Fredd likes this.
  20. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would not be surprised at all if TSA cancels or further delays this given the hype about implanted explosives this week.