TSA security looks at people who complain about ... TSA security

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Infinite1K, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    More security theater: behavior detection officers now look for people who are arrogant and complain about the security procedures.

ACLU thinks this is against your 1st amendment rights. Security experts think it is absurd that a terrorist would try to draw attention to themselves. But TSA knows best.

Story and video from CNN here.

AmericanGirl, OY-JFS and gleff like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winning the hearts and minds of travelers, one PR blunder at a time.

3. flyingbrick
    Original Member

flyingbrick Silver Member

Status Points:
    PR blunders have nothing to do with it. The TSA is a truly evil organization.

AmericanGirl and gleff like this.
  4. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Blunder? No, I think this is a calculated bit of of social engineering.

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it's gonna be a very long list ;)

And keeping us safe in the war on terror one penis and two breasts at a time

6. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I can have LOTS OF FUN with this new policy. :D

My trip home last fall, I beep in the WTMD, let out a comment that the machine is set too sensitive, buddy with the wand gives me the 'gonna have fun with you look.'
    I stop... and demand a superviosor before I proceed with the wandong. I look at him, and the crowd of 3 more that have gathered to see what the fuss is. "It's OK, calling the supervisor is good for me & good for you. I've got all the time in the world."

By the time the search progresses, mister TSAttitude has too big of an audience to give me much retaliatory treatment.

OH YEAH, I can see lots of fun with this policy!

AmericanGirl, N965VJ, kwai and 2 others like this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this only gives us more opportunity to waste their time. They act all serious at first ("This is for your own protection!") but usually end up disappointed when they can't find any reason to detain me any longer. I don't think they should be patting me down, but at least I can say I usually mind the experience less than the TSOs who have to do the groping.

8. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has the TSA been so brain washed that they have their own freedom of expression but the traveling public does not?

N965VJ likes this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    A coping mechanism I have for myself for these TSA folk is one of pity. I take a look at some of these people and actually do feel sorry for them. Their job stinks, some of them were never called back after filling out an application at McDonalds and now they're stuck in this role. If there was a security issue requiring physical activity, some of these people would be challenged to cover 25 yards in 10 seconds. As much as the process of clearing security bugs the crap out of me, I stop and pause for a second. I agree that the TSA is disconnected with reality, but what helps me clear that security line without being a wise-a*s is the fact that I am going either somewhere really fantastic, with a great seat on the flight, or looking forward to getting back to a great home. Not to mention the miles that I earn doing it :D.

N965VJ likes this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather they fix trails in the La Plata Mountains. It would be healthier too.

N965VJ and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  11. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My job is to get to the other side of security as efficiently as possible. Especially if I am early and have time to kill in the club :) or running late and have to catch my flight.
    Why put anything in the way to delay you. Complain if you want but it is usually an argument you are not going to win easily. Although it may make you feel better.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to do the same. Pass through as speedily as possible, without being accosted that is :)

N965VJ and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's your answer.

N965VJ, ACMM and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  14. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love it!

N965VJ likes this.
  15. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe this is a good use of the TSA's resources.

N965VJ likes this.
  16. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I thought the procedures currently in place were actually effective I would have a totally different opinion about getting through security. Why some things are banned is... just silly when I think of what I can safely bring on a flight compared to what I cannot. My carryon luggage could do more damage when swung at a person than a foil cutter or small scissors (my dielectric tester is heavy and solid). If I were to use a foil cutter (part of my cork screw) to attempt to slit an FA's throat I would be mobbed by my fellow passenger as has happened. But even if I were to succeed, I still could not alter the flight plan as the door to the cockpit is locked. (and of course all the passengers and the other FAs would let me try to pick that lock and defeat the security of that door-NOT) To me, what seems to be a potential real threat goes back to the bomb issue, I just do not see how hijacking can work anymore. So, getting equipment that can detect that would be in order but.. for some reason we ignore the obvious (dogs) and go with the ineffective body scans that just let you now if my bra is an underwire type or not. Of course, if I talk about this to people that do NOT travel frequently they think I am a liberal wingnut trading "safety" and "security" for an ideal that is not quite patriotic :(

AmericanGirl and N965VJ like this.
  17. blueeyes_austin

blueeyes_austin Active Member

Status Points:
    This seems to be a pretty clearcut case of unconstitutional viewpoint-based illegal state action.

N965VJ likes this.
  18. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!:)

19. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my thought. Every time I get ticked at security, I just think of the fact that part of the reason they are so angry is that they are stuck with that job.

In regard to the profiling,

Let's face it, is there anyone who doesn't feel stress or fear as they are going through the metal detector, not to mention feeling deceived by the concept of security theater?

Mike

N965VJ likes this.
  20. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, in fact I am more stressed about going through security than I am about mechanical malfunctions, pilot or ATC error, weather or even terrorists, because my chances of being accosted by TSA are nearly 100%...

N965VJ, AmericanGirl and MikeMpls like this.
  21. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same with us -- that was why we started to curtail our air travel last July by eliminating several 100% optional trips, and since my wife Nov. 1 grope we've eliminated all air travel. The necessary trips (to St. Louis, mostly) are now done by car.

N965VJ likes this.
  22. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am fortunate to be able to voluntarily reduce my client base so have chosen to limit my travel as my small protest.

N965VJ likes this.