TSA Precheck question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by perryplatypus, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious if someone else is traveling with me (aka my wife) on the same PRN will they be allowed to go through the precheck line too? I was wondering what other MPers have experienced through the Precheck line.

2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way it works in most (all?) places is that there is a shortcut to the document checker for TSA Pre-Check participants, but since there is no way to see whether you are, in fact, a participant without scanning your boarding pass, there is no way for the airport/airline personnel to enforce access to this shortcut. Once you get to the document checker, based on the BP scan you may be directed to the 'special' screening lane or a regular lane - an element of randomness is built in into the program. Your companion will obviously directed to a regular lane and you will have to meet past screening.

TAHKUCT, wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    legalalien is correct. The BP for members of Global Entry or the other Pre-eligible programs will have the code included in the scan data (pax cannot see this in most cases) if selected for Pre. Almost all purely domestic flight will get the code.

At the moment international flights are NOT eligible. If on an international itinerary connecting to another domestic US location you will have Pre, but on an outgoing domestic flight connecting to an international flight the same day you will not have Pre. There is an alleged plan to expand Pre to include international flights but there has been no official word about that.

if you get the idea that the previous paragraph bugs me you are correct! Pre is so wonderful that I, now completely spoiled, desperately want it expanded. Mrs JBC just did Global Entry not just for the international immigration and customs speed and ease, although that is incredible enough, but to get Pre too. A few days ago at MIA I took 47 seconds for security while she took 23 minutes! That, BTW, was a few minutes after she completed GE. A final note, Pre will typically work on the second flight after enrollment, not the first. I have no idea why, but I have been told that several times by TSA people.

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  4. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I just applied for Global Entry and my wife will be up next. I wanted to go through the process before I had her sign up. We don't do alot of international traveling but we will next year! So I wanted to get it all done in advance so our apps would not get boggled down in the system.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll love it! The application form is the hard part, especially if you travel a lot.

6. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    I know the app is the hard it part to much thinking. My wife and I had a good laugh. We both had a hard time trying to remember what year we were married!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs jbc and I both put down the same date, but neither of us remember. OTOH, we have happily cohabited for more than 30 years so it really does not matter to us exactly when that began or when we made it official.