TSA PreCheck Now at 35 Airports Nationwide

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Dec 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.travelagentcentral.com/g...tsa-precheck-now-35-airports-nationwide-38414

John Wayne Airport (SNA) is the 35th airport in the nation to offer TSA PreCheck to eligible passengers, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reports. Under TSA PreCheck U.S. citizens traveling domestically who are select Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and US Airways frequent travelers - or members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs - are now eligible to participate and may receive expedited screening benefits. The TSA PreCheck lane is now available at Checkpoint A.

TSA says its PreCheck is part of the agency’s effort to implement risk-based security concepts that enhance security by focusing efforts on travelers considered higher risk and about whom the agency knows less. To date, more than 5 million passengers have experienced TSA PreCheck. TSA PreCheck is now available in 35 airports for Alaska, American, Delta, United and US Airways frequent flyers.

“Over the past year, we’ve expanded TSA PreCheck to 35 airports, covering all 28 of the largest airports along with seven others across the country,” said TSA Administrator John S. Pistole. “In the coming year, we will continue partnering with airlines, airports, and the traveling public to further expand TSA PreCheck, making air travel safer and more efficient for the traveling public.”

Read More: http://www.travelagentcentral.com/g...tsa-precheck-now-35-airports-nationwide-38414

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would think that a headline about 35 airports would mean that a list of those 35 airports would be included. Failing this, can't the TSA website update the pdf list from September or make sure that the map of PreCheck airports works?

marcwint55 and mht_flyer like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more the better.. Keep them coming...

If I can leave my shoes on and get through security in 5 minutes that makes my travel day good :)

marcwint55 and LIH Prem like this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is partly PR spin. The pre-check at HNL is not located anywhere close to the highest volume carriers like United and Hawaiian. Yes, pre-check is at HNL. Is it useful there? Not for most pax.

When pre-check becomes easily accessible for more frequent fliers, that will be worth applauding.

marcwint55, canucklehead and LIH Prem like this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA isn't a pre-check participant. That's TSA also.

But I agree that the pre-check lane in HNL is unusable for most people.

-David

marcwint55 and HiIslands like this.
  6. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me! I usually fly out of SNA. I just have to wait until Feb for my Nexus interview. :)

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not that familiar with HNL, but how much of a walk is it from Lobby 8 to Checkpoint 3?

8. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's such a long walk (and then back again in the opposite direction to get to the gates) that it is faster to go through the gold lane at United or Hawaiian. They are both at extreme ends of the airport.

Scottrick likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't count SEA. They made it too inconvenient moving it to middle of the terminal (equally far away from everything), so I just use the north premium security checkpoint.

HiIslands likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sucks when you know you're eligible to go through pre-check, but the program is not at that airport yet.

What double-sucks is that if you're coming from or going to an international destination, no pre-check for that ticket. Read in an interview that John Pistole is "not comfortable" with letting international passengers, including to and from Canada, use pre-check. Even though membership in NEXUS or Global Entry, two INTERNATIONAL TRUSTED TRAVELER PROGRAMS, will get you the ability to use pre-check.

TSA "logic" at its finest.

USAF_Pride and TAHKUCT like this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many reports over in FT of people getting Pre-Check on supposedly disallowed international itineraries, including a domestic connection to an international (including airside connections), and same-day domestic connections from an international arrival.

Never happened to me, though.

I agree it's silly to not allow it.

12. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    the more the better. When available it works really well, but some placements or lack for some airport terminals (like UA in LGA, or in HNL) will hopefully be improved in the coming year!

mht_flyer, marcwint55 and HiIslands like this.
  13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only same day.
    I got Pre-Check on the first leg of my trip to CZM. Required a one night stay in Atlanta but it was ticketed as a LAX-CZM ticket with a connection in ATL. Got it for the LAX-ATL which surprised me.

14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just went through pre-check lane for my ORD-HKG flight. Document checker didn't blink at INTL written in big letters at the top of my BP.

canucklehead likes this.