TSA PreCheck mark NG non-citizens

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Sep 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife (Japanese) and I checked in online and both of our passes showed "TSA PreCheck". We got to EWR, found checkpoint C3 and were then informed that my wife couldn't use the PreCheck line even though that's what her boarding pass said. :-(

I suppose, though, that they have no way of explicitly knowing that she doesn't qualify since she could have had two passports, a green card or some other qualifying document which wouldn't be in the her UA profile.

Are there any non-citizen readers who have gotten through?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who informed you of that? More to the point, did you scan the BP, get the 3 beeps and still get denied? If so that's an agent who needs retraining. Many foreign nationals are now eligible.

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get PreCheck frequently and am not a US Citizen or a Green Card holder.

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband is not a citizen and he got precheck when I booked an award ticket for him (based on my status with UA). Nobody said anything and we kept our mouths shut.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you using passports as your ID? Otherwise how would they even know citizenship.

And just to be clear, she got 3 beeps on the scanner, correct? And you were explicitly told that the reason was her citizenship, correct?

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The big question is wether you got the three beeps or not. It can indicate pre-check on your boarding pass but if you don't get three beeps you don't qualify.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be clear is that "you don't qualify" for that trip, since it can be denied randomly...

skyvan likes this.
  8. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on all points and especially the retraining part if all of the former worked

9. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really can't remember if there were three beeps or not since it was our first experience with PreCheck. Actually, I think the agent took one look at her red Japanese passport and then didn't even scan it!

10. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in line at SFO PreCheck on Friday and same thing happened to a man in front of me. He had a non-us passport and the agent said he was not eligible. He told the agent he has done it a dozen time but the agent said it is only for US citizens.

I wonder if they have changed the rule and the agents are now enforcing it.

11. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the exact same situation occur at ORD. I'm a green card holder, Australian citizen (Aussie passport)
    Came through GS lounge and dropped into the pre-check lane....was directed away by TSA to the standard premier lane for that exact reason.

Not a huge deal for me but I guess the hassle free pre-check lane would be better

sent from some type of mobile device typed with two thumbs

12. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    So since when does a TSO determine that Pre-Check is only for U.S. citizens? Afaik, as long as the pax get the magic pass to the Pre-Check lane, they're good to go regardless as to whether the i/d presented is a passport (U.S. or other country), driver's license, GE card, or even a Costco card.

13. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the solution to this problem to use a DL instead of passport? You can't tell from a DL whether you are a US citizen or not.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So that problem with that is that if it is for US citizens (It would be great if someone would confirm) and non-citizens are using it, they may shut it down or not allow DL. Personally, if a person is prechecked, it should not matter.

flyforawg likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recent example: GC holder and US Citizen on award PNR. GC holder gets pre-check on BP, US citizen doesn't. Same US citizen has gotten pre-check consistently over the last few months. GC holder used DL at TSA checkpoint. Three beeps, no issues.