TSA PreCheck for U.S. Military Members

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by rwoman, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw this on a.net...

TSA PreCheck for U.S. Military Members

I like to think that I pose less of a risk to security... ;) I'll be glad to see this expanded beyond DCA!

:)

wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the concept is honorable and the language is certainly there to match, but from a security point of view, this seems like a bad idea. This is, after all, a group of people with easier access to weapons than most and also exposed to far more "undesirable" influences due to their positions.

Heck, malice doesn't even need to be part of it, simply forgetting crap is bad enough.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite THAT easy to get weapons...easier to go buy one than get one off of a base most of the time.. ;)

USAF_Pride likes this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, it is harder to get a militarized weapon or even legally have your own weapon on a military base than you would ever know!!

rwoman likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    An update...

I had not problems using PreCheck at IAD last week even though the trip was part of an international itinerary. That said, one of the military members (a young PFC) ahead of me, did not quite understand this expedited process of clearing security.

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre✓™/active-duty-military

Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Honolulu International Airport (HNL), Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD). Eligible service members include U.S. Armed Forces service members including reservist and National Guard members, who possess a valid Common Access Card (CAC).

Active duty service members should present their valid CAC card to the TSA Travel Document Checker, along with their boarding pass, in the TSA Pre✓™ lane. The TSA Travel Document Checker will scan the CAC card to verify the traveler’s status as an active U.S. service member. If TSA can verify service members are active and in good standing with the Department of Defense (DoD) they will then receive expedited screening benefits such as no longer removing the following items:

Shoes
    3-1-1 compliant bag from carry-on
    Laptop from bag
    Light outerwear/jacket
    Belt

Service members should use the following checkpoints to see if they qualify for TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening:

- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT): Main Terminal, Checkpoint B

- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): Main Checkpoint

- Honolulu International Airport (HNL): Main Terminal, Checkpoint 3

- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA): North Pier Gates 35-45, South Pier Gates 10-22

- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): Checkpoint 3

- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD): Main Terminal, TSA Pre ✓™ Checkpoint

Eligible service members do not need to be in uniform to take advantage of TSA Pre✓™ benefits and family members ages 12 and under can process through expedited screening as well, as they already receive modified screening procedures at airports nationwide.

By expanding TSA Pre✓™ to active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, TSA is able to focus its resources and improve the passenger experience at security checkpoints. While nothing would ever guarantee expedited screening – TSA must retain a certain element of randomness to prevent terrorists from gaming the system – the testing of this concept holds the potential to significantly change the travel experience for members of the U.S. Armed Forces.