TSA Precheck enrollment at IND

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    TSA is launching a paid precheck enrollment program, it starts first at IND today. It's $85, lasts 5 years, but for $100 you get Global Entry which includes Precheck, and you're dealing with the competent professionals of ICE. I trust ICE with my private data. I don't trust the TSA.

Newscience, sobore and MSYgirl like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle has an excellent point! Besides, for an extra $15, you get (theoretically) expedited security clearance for national and international flights with Global Entry. IMHV, it is been $100 very well spent! And, as many Milepointers have pointed out, there are multiple ways to get reimbursed for the expenditure. ;)

3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to sign up for Global Entry, but since I can't do the required interview in the city where I live, I've elected not to do so for now. Spending $100 is one thing, spending $100 plus round-trip airfare to ORD plus a weekend of my free time just to complete a brief interview is quite another.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, moongoddess. O.K., I'll ask the question: if you do travel a bit by air - to other airports - isn't it possible to set up in advance a TSA interview for GE in an airport where you need to travel anyway? :cool:
    And I well realize that I was fortunate in that my employer covered my GE expense, as travel is a necessary requirement of my job (like many others on Milepoint). But Milepointers have presented that certain elite credit cards will also reimburse you for GE expenses. :)
    Newscience

5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing is, I don't travel frequently by air - just 3-4 times a year, and most of those trips involve quickly transiting through the larger airports where the TSA offers the interviews rather than stopping and actually staying in those cities. ORD is the one exception, as my parents live in Chicagoland, but a lack of vacation time is going to keep me from visiting them for about a year. So if I want to get Global Entry I either need to wait until spring of 2015 when I'll go to Chicago on vacation anyway, or do a mileage-run type weekend trip just for the interview (which I'd rather not do, as I have better things to do with my weekends). Such is life for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere! :)

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.