TSA PreCheck at SEA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Sep 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone gotten PreCheck at SEA recently?

I just checked in for my third or fourth itinerary in a row (in the last 2.5 weeks) and my SEA-xxx flight does not have PreCheck but the connecting flight always does. Just now I checked in for SEA-SFO-Asia that leaves tomrw and SEA-SFO doesn't show PreCheck but SFO-Asia does.

Note: it always shows on the return portion of the itinerary as well.

Just wondering if anyone else is missing PreCheck from their ex-SEA boarding passes or if this is something unique to me. I've tried calling United but of course they can't help me.

And I have tried to scan the BP at SEA just in case it beeps 3 times but they missed the logo and it doesn't beep 3 times at all. And I can't scan the connection BP to get 3 beeps because I have to use the ex-SEA BP.

This is so incredibly frustrating.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have certainly had ex-SEA ones work in the past, though the most recent was in June. I'll have another data point on Saturday.

3. dc8fan

dc8fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had one work two weeks ago.

4. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has worked every time for me across ~18 SEA trips this year

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get Pre-Check regularly at SEA. Both for domestic and international itineraries now.

Biggest issue with Pre-Check at SEA is that there are often many military members in line and they are not always experienced travelers, and if they have family with them, the companions are not permitted to use Pre-Check.

6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the plot gets more interesting...

I was waitlisted with a GPU for SEA-SFO (the international already cleared) and after I checked in the SEA-SFO leg opened up with R1 so I called UA and got the upgrade. I went to OLCI again and had to start OLCI from scratch. I guess that means to process the upgrade the call agent unchecked me in? Never had to do that before.

After doing OLCI again I *got* PreCheck on the SEA-SFO leg.

Anyone have any possible explanations?

-Rob
    PS - I think my new M.O. should I not get PreCheck out of SEA now is to call UA and have them uncheck me in and then do OLCI again. Maybe that will work.

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you were checked in to the coach seat. When you found the R inventory and called, you were cleared into F in the reservation system. In order to get on the flight in F, you were unchecked out of the Y seat, and then confirmed into F. You then checked back into the flight. The reservation system and day of flight systems are different. The standby processing does happen in the day of flight system, but you circumvented that (and maybe got the seat via shenanigans since there might have been higher status pax already checked in.
    In idea why it would happen that way - unless you had pre-check on the OLCI BP as well, but the logic that prints OLCI is faulty and never tests whether to print Pre-Check if it is an international itinerary. Might need to try it next time and see if you get 3 beeps.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an AS flight booked through AA and PC worked fine for me a couple of months ago.

Sorry for your troubles.

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The first statement makes sense. As for shenanigans...nope, I was #1 on the list after being #2 and they already cleared #1. If UA's systems worked properly and immediately cleared people into "R" who are waitlisted for it by priority then they could stop a lot of potential shenanigans. But that's been debated many times on this and the OTBB.

As for Precheck - it was not visible on both the Mobile *and* the printed BP. In fact I OLCI'd via my computer and not my phone. When I checked the BP on the phone it also didn't show PreCheck. But the SFO-Asia segment clearly did so it's not a printing issue. Last time this happened (which is when I flew SEA-IAH on Saturday), no PreCheck logo and no three beeps at the PreCheck line scanner.

Thanks,
    Rob