TSA Pre

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Feb 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Platinum on AA and DL and I have GOES ID but it is unclear to me exactly what I need to do to be eligible for TSA Pre.

Is Global Entry a requirement? Perhaps there is a step by step post out there but I didn't see it.

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For AA, and probably Delta, go into your profile and add your GOES ID number into the trusted traveler box. Once that is completed your boarding passes should be coded with your info so you can take advantage of Pre Check .

Good luck.

jbcarioca and zshanlon like this.
  3. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was the approach I took last year but I haven't gotten the 3 beeps even once.

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  4. CMX

CMX Silver Member

Status Points:
    The name in your profile and the name on your GOES ID must be exactly the same (i.e. middle name must be in your profile, and match the middle name on your GOES ID). That's what was preventing me from the 3 beeps for awhile.

zshanlon, jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you use a bp printed on your home or work computer? Some times they will not work. Use the airline's mobile app or a ticket printed out by the in airport self-serve kiosk.

zshanlon and jbcarioca like this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My full middle name is on my GE card. It is not on my driver's license nor on my airline profile -- just a middle initial on those. I've gotten those 3 beeps 19 out of 20 times.

7. JeffRDU

JeffRDU Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the TSA precheck per the AA email suggesting I do so. Since then I have had to travel much less than previously. Is this a permanent list? Do they re-eval on an annual basis or keep the list for x years?

Funny, the last time I went through LAX on the TSA precheck I was the only person in line,...and they selected me as an arbitrary check for additional screening! This was the first time I felt I had extra time because of the precheck TSA thingy and yet that got messed up because even that line has arbitrary additional screening! Too funny.

Jeff

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least for AA, BPs printed online work just fine.

Sent from my iPod using milepoint

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true, if your Global Entry number is in the Secure Flight Data on your PNR (defaults from your profile at the agency that booked the ticket, e.g., AA or travel agent).

zshanlon and autolycus like this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are eligible for Pre-Check by either being a high elite in the FF program of a participating airline, or, being enrolled in a CBP Trusted Traveler program such as Global Entry. You do not need to be a member if you were invited to sign up by your airline.

If you are a member of a CBP TT program, you can enter the number on your airline and travel agency profiles. If you do, be sure your name matches exactly or you are likely to be rejected.

zshanlon, jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was your Global Entry number in the Secure Flight Data of the PNR for those 20 trips?

12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually, changes to your profile only carry forward to future trips. Any trips already booked need to updated, which you can do yourself by accessing the itinerary on aa.com and updating the secure flight data.

zshanlon, autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are traveling on a pnr that has any international leg, you will NOT get Pre check. Theoretically they are to fix that soon so we all can use both, but for now you can have GE only. The solution, if you're anxious to have PreCheck is to have a domestic pnr for the domestic flights. You can still check bags through and coordinate flights. Because of this I rarely get Precheck.

IDGflygirl, zshanlon and autolycus like this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible to get Pre-Check on domestic connections to/from international flights under some circumstances. Easiest is when the domestic and international flights are on different days. I have gotten Pre-Check on domestic same-day connections from an international flight when I was able to not check in for the domestic flight until landing in the U.S. (by which time no international flights remained on the itinerary).

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, every time.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is interesting. My inquiry to TSA claimed that is not possible. However, the same thing happened to me a couple of times, but i thought it was an error or a courtesy, as sometimes happens. Such a thing has never happened when I am on a true connection. TSA told me (the agent in the MIA GE kiosk) that the PNR holding an international segment precludes access to Pre. I am delighted to hear taht my information is wrong! Thanks.:)

anabolism likes this.
  17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd take anything told to me by a front-line TSA employee with a bit of salt :) Not that I think they're lying or anything like that, just that as far as I know, their job does not require them to know anything about the Pre-Check algorithm, so I expect them to not be trained or briefed on its details. They may be passing on second-hand information, possibly from other agents or even MPers :)

I always get Pre-Check when the domestic and international flights are on different days (applies to both domestic to international departure and international arrival to domestic). I have gotten Pre-Check on same-day domestic connections after an international arrival when I've not checked in for the domestic flights until after landing in the U.S. My observation is that at that point no international flights remain on the PNR, which may have something to do with it. However, in my experience, the international flights have also been on foreign carriers, which may or may not also be necessary along with not checking in for the domestic flights until landing (on the theory that the foreign carrier won't send the PNR to the TSA for Pre-Check but AA will).

IDGflygirl, jbcarioca and zshanlon like this.
  18. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with on taking the TSA agent with a grain of salt!

anabolism and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may clarify the point:
    Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?
    A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
    http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre✓™/tsa-pre✓™-faqs
    Because you were on a different PNR, a domestic one, you were eligible. Note the "...if any leg is international..." policy. This is the official policy. I did not specify taht my friendly GE kiosk clerk actually looked it up before answering me. Of course I could and should have done it myself.
    BTW, GE does work with non-participating carriers. Also when getting a new US passport you need only add your number in GOES and the new passport works. My spouse and I have both done that now, and both of us have used GE when our arriving flight had changed due to IROPS. There is actually a drop down menu that lets you change your flight and point of origin.

20. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be confused about the terminology here. If I have an international leg, does that mean I must go in the "normal" line for security, or can still go in the Pre-Check line but I won't get the 3 beeps?

21. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't confuse their intended design with implementation details. Many airlines remove segments from your PNR as you complete them (at varying speeds) - so when you check your reservation on your airline website you may find only remaining flights. I wouldn't be surprised if this international check is to simply retrieve the PNR and scan every flight on the record currently, rather than what may have been there before.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid it doesn't add much clarity :)

I was not on a different PNR. Every international trip has always been the same PNR for both domestic and international segments.

It is in the TSA's FAQ (which I'm sure many of us have read multiple times). That doesn't mean that the TSA's FAQs are an exact match to either TSA policy or TSA's implementation of their policy (their algorithms). The FAQ may be a simplification, for example, and may gloss over distinctions that are important to us but meaningless to most travelers.

If so, that contradicts the FAQ as well. But, how does it work if the carrier is not participating, who sends the PNR for Pre-Check clearance? Unless you mean codeshares where the marketing carrier does not participate but the operating carrier does.

Others have also reported success in just updating GOES< but my spouse and I have both taken the extra step of stopping by an enrollment office (no appointment needed) to have them add a sticker (and I assume verify everything is enrolled and good).

autolycus likes this.
  23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always go to the Pre-Check line (even if you are not eligible you can go there). You are unlikely to get the three beeps or the LLL and hence will be redirected to normal security (in some cases skipping to the head of that line though).

autolycus likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my case I know that the international flight remained on the PNR (on AA flown sectors show even on aa.com for a day or so following the flight, and may remain in the PNR itself as seen internally).

Since it's extremely common for PNRs to contain multiple flights on different days (e.g., a typical round trip), I'm reasonably confident that the TSA only looks at flights on the day that is being checked, which would explain why having the domestic and international flights on different days works; if they also only look at unflown flights that would explain why it also works when the domestic connection following an international arrival is not checked in until after landing in the U.S.

autolycus likes this.