TSA pre-check

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vjjohnson3, Jan 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi!!

Does anyone have experience in obtaining TSA pre-check to use for Los Angeles and Orange County airports. I signed up and it's been months now and I still do not have the ability to go through the expedited screening. Maybe I should get global entry, perhaps that would help? As a 1K member they said they would reimburse me.
    Has anyone been successful with this yet? Thanks

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, for one, Global Entry will give you the advantage of the availability of Pre Check with any qualifying airline, not just with UA. And, of course, if you fly internationally, it will help you.

As far as not being chosen, I'm guessing there's a mismatch someplace. For example, is your name EXACTLY the same on your FF account and gov't ID?

3. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so fast

I've had global entry the past 8 months and flew approx 180,000 miles in that time

At the airports where pre check was available, I was not able to utilize it

I've seen the same for other global entry passengers in my travels

Pre check is randomized and the TSA folks have no control or influence on pre check

It IS a disconnect that passengers with trusted traveler quals (global entry) don't automatically earn the opportunity to utilize pre check

4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've got Global Entry, also make sure you've entered your Known Traveler ID into the appropriate fields for your air carrier and/or tickets.

bungalow1225 and skyvan like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, your story is not unique, but that's a pretty good indication something is wrong, Many people report very good success with PreCheck. I was only refused once. And when going through the people in front of and behind me are getting the 3 beeps too.

There are other threads about this and best as I can determine the most common cause for never being chosen is some sort of name mismatch. There could very well be other reasons -- the TSA computer can simply decided for whatever reason that you're not an acceptable risk, e.g. maybe your name is too similar to someone they don't like. The trouble is you'll never know because they probably don't know either. And the criteria used are secret, so even if someone does know, they're not going to tell us. It's all incredibly frustrating.

anabolism likes this.
  6. higal
    Original Member

higal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard it works more if you select mobile boarding pass rather than paper

7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten pre-check everywhere I've tried it since I received GE. And until this week, my BP had first name, middle initial and GE had full middle name. Also, have used paper BP sometimes and mobile others. Is it possible, name is different, e.g., Bob Smith on BP and Robert T. Smith on ID?

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used precheck out of LAX T7. I do not have Global Entry. But my success rate is like 1 out of 5.

9. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PreCheck is not often available on international itineraries. That may be the reason you are being denied.
    Also as others have mentioned, your name on your ticket must match exactly to the name on your GE GOES account. I had to change my name at the airline to match my name on my Passport, and after 0/3 attempts for PreCheck, I have cleared every time since.
    Good luck.

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm about 14/15 and always use paper.

11. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand it is supposed to never be available for international itineraries, although that will likely change over time.

United had me update my personal information a few days ago when I logged into united.com - I have GE and had registered my ID with United. I'm hopeful that that means I might be able to use Pre at DEN on YQR-DEN-SAN in February.

12. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    are you using the designated "pre-check lines"? When I first got Pre-check I thought you could go through any security line but soon after learned that only the designated "pre-check" lanes will give you the 3 beeps.

13. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I would call it being accepted into program, sometime after may I haven't missed once except for intl. I did 100 segments last year also. I even got precheck flying US with my UA number and passid entered,

14. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may want to check out this post, it may be applicable to your issue.

PreCheck Dependent on How Ticket Was Issued?

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Untrue.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any of the scanners should beep that way if your BP is flagged for it. But it only does any good at the designated lane.

anabolism likes this.
  17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's back up a minute. How exactly did you sign up, and what exactly do you mean that you still don't have the ability to go through expedited screening?

Once we know the specifics, we can be much more helpful.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not aware of any evidence of this being the case, and from my own experience and what I've pieced together about Pre-Check, I highly doubt it.

Especially with programs such as Pre-Check, people say a lot of things that aren't so, and others hear a lot of things that have no basis in reality. Some of this is "cargo cult syndrome" and some is just misunderstandings, and some is wishful thinking.

19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TSA does say that Pre-Check is for domestic itineraries, but there are a few situations where you are likely to get Pre-Check for domestic segments on an international itinerary:
    • The domestic and international flights are on different days (e.g., an overnight connection) in either direction
    • The international flights are on a foreign airline and you don't check-in for them until after you are checked in for the domestic flights (either direction)
    • Possibly if your domestic flight connects to an international flight out of a different terminal (or airport) requiring that you reclear security.

PhotoJim likes this.
  20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, with the minor quibble that not all scanners beep; some display "LLL" without the three beeps.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  21. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping that flights from Canada where Customs is cleared at the US airport, connecting onward to US domestic flights, will soon qualify. Once I've cleared customs at ORD or DEN or MSP or wherever, I don't see why I'm any different from a domestic passenger.

22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because you're on an international itinerary: "Whatsamatta? Our country ain't good enough for ya?!"

:)

23. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Our country", being which? Canada or the US?

I'm in Canada most of the time. I visit the US a lot. I fly out of a non-preclearance Canadian airport so I typically clear in DEN or ORD.

24. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I was able to sign up for Global Entry, and pay using a "credit card" number specified by UA for that sole purpose (I was 1K at the time). The other day I had my Global Entry interview (finally) after arriving at PHI on a US Airways ticket. I was approved on the spot, and added my Trusted Traveler number to my US reservation online when checking in for my return flight two days later. I tried the Pre-Check lane and voila - worked like a charm (much to my surprise).

25. randykahn

randykahn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a member of Global Entry (which I love) and had the same problem. A helpful TSA agent pointed out to me that I was using the wrong number--it was my GOES USERID rather than my official GOES number. Since I made that changed, I have zipped through Pre-Check. And, as noted above, the name must be EXACTLY the same.