TSA Pre Check

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by T5campbell, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys, I have signed up for TSA Pre Check, and went through the GOES System to up my chances, and still haven't been selected for expedited screening. When signing up for Pre Check I gave my complete middle name of William where my mileage point account only has W. Will this make a difference in getting selected?

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't. Do you have your Known Traveler ID in your profile? Are you going through the Pre-Check lane each time and getting declined?

3. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have it all updated, and I am going through the Pre-Check lane, and I have denied all 4 times since signing up.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have the ticket agent make sure they've got you set up - apparently there's something they can see that says whether it's printing on your BP correctly or not (to at least qualify you... randomness is still up to TSA).

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just confirming...you are flying on domestic only trips, right? Any international flight in your ticket will deny you PreCheck.

-RM

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am really annoyed at the Pre Check lanes at MIA. There is a designated one in Checkpoint 2 for AA. There are 4 people "manning" it, yet there are no people going through it at all. It was my first time ever seeing a Pre-Check lane, and having my Global Entry card as my ID I tried it (I was transferred to MIA and AA by US for a weather problem in CLT) I did not realize that you needed to Pre-activate it with the airline, or I would have had them do that when I was on the phone with AA an hour earlier.

Alas, I was kicked out of the consideration for Pre-check cause I wasn't aware that you had to register it with the airline too. This process seems to be really stupid that although you are a "trusted traveler" with the CBP, that the program requires the airline to be involved too.
    To add to the insult, I had to wait and then invoke a supervisor to perform my "grope" (second of the evening, one in FLL and then again in MIA) because there were no "female assists" available. :mad:

Anyway other than AA, USAir, Delta, and UA, are there any other airlines that have Pre-Check? I want to make sure I sign up for all of them.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Including Canada?

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Canada isn't a domestic US reservation... yes, even Canada.

Once you've signed up for one, just put your KTN in your profile with each other airline. Works like a charm.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did you "sign up" for precheck? With United, it should just be checking a box in your profile that says you want to participate, along with entering a trusted traveler ID, if you have one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline has to be involved because the PreCheck information is encoded into the bar code on the boarding pass. It makes sense if you think about how it is implemented, but I agree that it's not necessarily obvious to the end user. A lot of people got themselves GE cards because they though that was going to be used for PreCheck, when they really have nothing to do with each other. :rolleyes:

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to do it over the phone - it's a part of your profile on AA.com: (edited by admin - images removed due to being hosted on a known malware source).

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska.

13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're KT number is included in your airline record, the full name in your PNR should match your KT name exactly.

14. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:

You also should check reservation information that the number is there (edit traveler information link on the record). Without that, this ultimately won't do anything.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so my complimentary domestic upgrades shouldn't work then in Canada too, right? :rolleyes:

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your complimentary 500-mile upgrades aren't provided by or brokered by the US federal government or any of its agencies. They're provided solely by American Airlines, whose terms state that they are usable for trips to Canada.

Since the two programs aren't related, however, the fact you get upgraded enroute to Canada (or from Canada) doesn't make it a domestic destination as far as the TSA is concerned.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't use 500-mile upgrades on American (or United).

Second, there are many exceptions in "international" air travel when it comes to both airline and government rules. I don't appreciate what came over as a snarky response to a question I didn't even ask you. I don't need a geography lesson in knowing about Canada's sovereign nation status.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Let's recap so this is clear:

TravelerRob said:
    Just confirming...you are flying on domestic only trips, right? Any international flight in your ticket will deny you PreCheck.

Captain Oveur said:
    Including Canada?

Mike Reed said:
    Since Canada isn't a domestic US reservation... yes, even Canada.

Captain Oveur said:
    Ah, so my complimentary domestic upgrades shouldn't work then in Canada too, right? :rolleyes:

Mike Reed said:
    Your complimentary 500-mile upgrades aren't provided by or brokered by the US federal government or any of its agencies. They're provided solely by American Airlines, whose terms state that they are usable for trips to Canada.
    Since the two programs aren't related, however, the fact you get upgraded enroute to Canada (or from Canada) doesn't make it a domestic destination as far as the TSA is concerned.

Seems to me you expressed confusion about PreCheck not working in Canada when you got domestic upgrades to Canada. Ask a question, get an answer. Post rolleyes, get a snarky answer with links to back it up.

19. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did my first precheck last week. Loved it, left on my shoes, left the computer and iPad in my bag. So simple, so easy. Good job TSA for once!

20. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never had a chance to make use of the PreCheck. I do fly intl though. Maybe one day, I'll get picked.

21. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, after I had my GE number in my United profile, it took probably half a dozen attempts before the PreCheck clearance stabilized. In the first half dozen or so I think it worked twice (all domestic), but, since then I'm batting 1.000.

22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually had my first rejection in LAX a few weeks ago, but the lines were short and the screener appreciated the not bitching. :)

Flyer1976 and Mackieman like this.
  23. swingspan

swingspan New Member

Status Points:
    Quick question. I just need to make sure my traveler info matches my GOES record, right? So far, 100% rejection for PreCheck. My KT number is in reservation, and my full name in my traveler info matches GOES. However, UA only allows middle initial for tickets/MP. I opted in via United AND I entered my KT number in the res. Any guidance most appreciated.

adambadam likes this.
  24. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also wondering the same thing. I have since insisted that MP enter my full middle name as it was just an option when I signed up with CO and that is the profile name. So now my full name is listed (I think they just added my middle name to the end of my first name. But is still have the unremovable salutation stuck to my first name.

I really would like PreCheck to work.

25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask the ticketing agent/counter agent to check. Most of them know by now what's needed and can check for you.

Domestic travel, right?

secretsea18 likes this.