TSA pre check will be getting much more crowded

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by marcwint55, Sep 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that TSA pre check will be offered to many more people who are not even preregistered for the benefit. According to an article I read this morning, the goal is to increase from 2% to 25% the number of people who go through the pre check line. There will be certain people who are deemed to not be a threat who will be randomly sent to the TSA pre check line. While it may be a benefit to many, I am a bit disappointed as the pre check line has saved me a great deal of time.

FetePerfection, 8MiHi, mo26 and 2 others like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you had 10 people go through the PC line and 10 go through the regular line, the PC line will still go through faster, anyway.

I wouldn't sweat it.

mo26, Mapsmith, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion, the biggest problem with pre-check is that not enough airports offer it!

anabolism likes this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that the PC line is less expensive to run and processes more people per hour. Because of this I always assumed it was created to help the TSAs budgetary constraints and not completely for our benefit. So it makes sense for them to move as many people onto it as is deemed safe. It might be a brilliantly conceived, politically correct version of profiling.
    Still it is worth contemplating Yogi's admonition that nobody goes there anymore because its too crowded.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never registered with UA for the benefit. I've been getting it for months.

The problem will be people who don't understand PreCheck and start taking off shoes etc. Even today I see the TSOs reminding people what they don't have to do when they bend down to remove their shoes. That in turn will lead to people with giant belt buckles and 5 pound Mr. T neck gear to set of the metal detectors.

anabolism, marcwint55 and 8MiHi like this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or airports that offer it, deciding to shut it down to focus on the other lines because of "staffing" problems.

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the end of the year, TSA hopes to have the program at 100 airports.

Now if only it expanded to offer it at all terminals of the airports.

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going through pre-check at Logan's C terminal this morning (pre-check at C terminal! yay!!!), it seemed to be crowded with people who hadn't done pre-check before. The line still moved nicely, but the TSA folks were barking at people to keep their shoes on. Maybe I'm seeing the start of the floodgates opening?

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel back and forth to work weekly and I cannot count the number of times the person in front of me in TSA PC takes off their shoes or belt or both, as well as starts to take out their laptops, etc. Unfortunately, at my home airport, the TSA 'agents' don't remind the non-believers and let them take up more time getting dressed at the pick up end of the scanner.

10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take off my shoes because my most comfortable travel shoes, two different pairs, alarm the WTMD and I refuse to wear tennis shoes. Even so, it's nice to leave my laptop in my carryon and jacket or sweater on. But the best advantage of all, is not being herded into the Nude-O-Scope. (Is it still called this?)
    On a side note, flying home from MIA today I was rejected for Pre-check...no three beeps for me...which was a big surprise as I've never been rejected before.

11. pmtcfhm

pmtcfhm New Member

Status Points:
    My biggest issue was that I had to pay for the service and go through security checks before I recieved the TSA Pre. Now people are in line that have not even heard about it and those lines are as long as the regular lines.

12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Pre-check line at BDA this past Saturday was completely empty, and the TSA gate guard there was begging for people to look on their tickets to see if they were Pre-check and could get into this empty lane. In the meantime, all the other lanes were lined up and winding through the airport. Pre-check is a no-brainer. As I fly SWA domestically, when will they get with Pre-check? And thank you United Airlines for using Pre-check! :)

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I certainly see this being an issue if not managed correctly. This morning at DEN a TSA agent flagged a dozen or so folks from the regular security line into PreCheck in front of me. It didn't bother me much because I wasn't in a rush. But, it was pretty obvious these folks had no idea what PreCheck was and it took a lot longer to process them.

Ultimately, I think there's a balance. I think TSA could be more studious and flag folks from the elite line at it would likely go quicker for people in regular security lines while likely having minimal impact on PreCheck wait times.

Newscience likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but in some airports there is effectively no actual elite line. The TSA lines at airports such as BDL have clear markings as to various categories of flyers, including frequent flyers/elites, but no one pays any attention to the signs, and TSA there doesn't much seem to care. There is an elite line at BWI, but if you go through it at certain times of the day (e.g., early to mid-morning), standing in the elite line will enable you to simply stand aside while all the air crew and airport worker bees cut in front of you. TSA just want to make sure that everyone feels special! :rolleyes:

15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night, at JFK term 4, at 6:30pm, the PreCheck line was longer than the SkyPriority line. The 'agent' still alternated between the 2 lines, instead of making us PreCheckers feel slightly more 'expedited' and doing a 2 to 1 thing. PreCheck is officially screwed. It was great while it lasted, but now, it's just like the other lines, minus the strip search.

16. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew last weekend, and some senior citizen tour group had all bought Global Entry for their trip, and thus had PreCheck. They had no idea what PreCheck was or what they were supposed to be doing. Pockets full of metal. Finally the TSA guy gave up and just told them all to take off their jackets. I was the 4th person in line and it took over 15 minutes to get through. While your general logic is correct, it all depends on who they're putting in the line.

iolaire likes this.