TSA Pre-Check at LAX

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    TSA began their Pre-Check screening (or lack thereof) at LAX on Jan 17. I have GE and signed up when I received the invite from AA a few months back. I have been lucky enough to use this process 3 times now (thanks to the double DEQMs). I used it the first day they began the process on 1/17. I can tell you it was very smooth, but that may be because they really didn't know what they were doing...:(...It was quick though, belt and shoes stayed on, computer and liquids stayed in the bags, coat however, because it was large, was removed. Total time to process through TSA screening? Less than 2 minutes! I used the pre-check again on 1/19 with similar results and again today, 1/25. Today however, it seems they were back to square one...confused about allowing those qualified to actually use the pre-check line...I actually got into a bit of an argument with one of these uber intelligent TSA folks who told me emphatically they "Did not have a pre-screened process"...but after I requested she speak with her supervisor, actually came back and ushered me into the pre-screen line (no one in line) and off I went through the screening process in under a minute and off to the AC!

Does anyone else have any experience using this new process?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I tried to use it at lax today but was told some days I'm on and some days I'm off. Today was an off day. At least they let me skip ahead of the line.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking they are clueless about what they are supposed to be and not supposed to be doing based on what I witnessed this morning at LAX...but then again...it is the TSA:D

4. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it is a random process. When they scan your boarding pass and LLLL shows up on their little green disply, you get to use the Trusted Traveler lane, otherwise they have to send you to the regular lane. Trusted Traveler does not meat you get to bypass the regular line 100% of the time.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    garyst16 likes this.
  6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I thought it was automatically applied 100% of the time...Appreciate the info

7. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where can I find information on who is eligible to participate in the pre-check program? Because my Aadvantage Account allows me to opt-in via the webpage!!

8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a link to the info on AA.com - https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/tsaprecheck.jsp

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got through the pre check process at AA LAX and it was great. Unfortunately since it is random, my g/f who is also Plat didn't get the ok. However, I grabbed our bags to avoid taking out liquids and laptop.

Overall, very happy to have even a 50% chance of getting through security in 1 min and have to take out only my cell phone.

10. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    have used it at dwf and lax - is a huge improvement over the traditional screening.

11. Yes - I discovered this the hard way the other day at LAX. The TSA lady (who was very rude by the way - gee, what a surprise) lectured me that it is a random selection process by the computer.

garyst16 likes this.
  12. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amen to that! Incredibly rude! I am 3 for 4 air far this year...

13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used it on return from the OWMD and was mightily impressed. Waiting for it to come to JFK and EWR.

14. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just came back from Oz and got the TSA pre-check approval after hiking from TBIT to T4.

O..M..G. It was wonderful! Felt almost like the good old days before 9-11. Friendly staff today too.

As an added bonus, I'm now on AA 280 LAX-MIA and getting all the free go-go I want just by clearing cookies every half hour. Oh and the FA said I looked tired, so he gave me three bottles of Glenlivet. :)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I did that LAX-ORD recently, was great. Lol

JAbrams72 likes this.
  16. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ---

I had this lottery/random experience at DTW. PreCheck line empty; regular line 30+ people. Waiting to complain to a supervisor, I saw in 6 minutes no one used precheck., so staff there just stood around talking to each other. Is this progress?

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not entirely clear what your complaint would be from your description.

18. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not allowed to use the PreCheck line.

19. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    dc3 - what time were you there? I went through at 8:30 this morning and was denied too! Second time this year...but on the other hand, I have been approved 4 previous times!

20. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    --

It was Sunday about 9 am. 4/6 is 66% approval. Again, I would ask why are you "distrusted" at all? If they are really worried about you (or me), why not have use use the line but take off our shoes, take out the computer, etc. Why have a line no one is using. What a waste of manpower. Also makes on wonder if their background checks are any good. (Or perhaps they are good . but the TSA doesn't want to trust them so the TSA can justify their behavior.) Can you imagine going to the FBI or CIA building and randomly being told your ID/clearance is not valid that day and you need to go through the visitor line and check-in? My Global Entry (from DHS) works 100% of the time at immigration, but not at TSA.

garyst16 likes this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Breezed through this morning.

22. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too, it made me lost my seat and have to standby for the rest of the day

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How did not being allowed to go through pre-check cause you to lose your seat?

If it's because you had to go through the normal security procedures, wouldn't that be more a case of having shown up late? :confused:

AnthonyB1609, From NYC and garyst16 like this.
  24. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    i was thinking that i would be able to get through the gate easily that I did not allow myself enough time to get to the gate on time. Once I was forced to go through the regular routine, i got to the gate when the agent took my seat and gave to a standby passenger and rush him to the plane while shutting the door in front of my face

25. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I have used it 4 times so far at LAX and every time it's been good. I haven't did my interview for the goes card I'm just using the AA precheck. But my question is when your at LAX and they deny you do they make you go to the end of the regular priority line?