TSA Pre✓ for United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyingBear, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw some discussions, but now that United actually announced it rolling out and giving a link to apply, I thought it deserves another thread. Per the email I just got:

"United® is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to deliver TSA Pre✓TM, an expedited security screening program at several airports, with Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles International and Houston Intercontinental starting this summer. Apply today and you could move through security with greater efficiency and ease when flying on a domestic itinerary. "

See more at the link below.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/C...es/tsa-precheck-speeds-screening-process.aspx

marcwint55 and scf like this.
  2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    "To apply for this program, you must be a MileagePlus® member and a U.S. citizen."

Even though they may have NEXUS and Global Entry, permanent residents are somehow thought to be dangerous I guess.

Ygor and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? LAX gets it, but not SFO or EWR? :rolleyes:

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't say anything about any of those airports (except for the old info about ORD T1) on that page.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is happening at LAX because other carriers already have it implemented there.

Last Wednesday in EWR the agent I was chatting with said they thought ORD was going to be first and EWR a couple weeks behind. We'll see what happens in reality.

6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worked for me today in SEA, so it does seem like if it's an already set up checkpoint you should be good to go at this point. (There are positive reports for things not even on that list, like LAS.)

rggale and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    At ORD Priority Security yesterday one of document checkers was telling everyone that PreCheck was going live this month. My BP showed LLL and he said something like, "you will be my customer next month at the far left lane." Can't wait.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how to interpret that. Did you fly on UA, and you got to use pre-check in Seattle?

This is a thread about pre-check on United.

-David

9. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put in my info for this a long time ago (via the old CO website). Did they carry it over after the merger?

10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine and my partner's did. But you should check it just to be sure.

11. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed new scanners at the TSA checkpoint at IAH Terminal E. Are these for pre-check?

12. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they are specifically for PreCheck (although, I would imagine they will have some sort of link in to the PreCheck verification system). The new machines are part of a pilot program (at IAH, SJU and one other airport that I can't remember) and are supposed to speed up the ID and boarding pass verification process. In reality, they are just turning the TSA ID checkers in to overpaid grocery store cashiers.

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the TSA at IAH implements Pre-Check the way they did at LAX for AA, it's pretty much the same equipment as they have for the regular lines from what I can tell. The only difference is that if you claim to be Pre-Check eligible, they scan your boarding pass to confirm it and then you go into a lane dedicated for Pre-Check. It seemed like the standard scanner for bags and metal detector to walk through.

I'm hoping this is the case for IAH and my understanding is that it will be rolling out in July as per the TSA Officer I spoke to last night.

sdm1130 likes this.
  14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excuse my ignorance here but how? There is/was no confirmation from UA [or did I miss something?]

15. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome™

Flyer1976 and unavaca like this.
  16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAD has one of the machines. I used it on Monday. And, there was a smaller version of the device installed at BTR when I arrived at that airport this morning.

17. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I opened the up the web page where you request to participate and my opt-in was still checked. So, yes, it transferred over.

thegrailer likes this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    great news. thanks for the update.

19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not correct. You don't have to be a US citizen. I'm not and I've been in the AA program through Global Entry from the beginning.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tommy... For the preclear program you have to be a US Citizen as per the United Page "To apply for this program, you must be a MileagePlus member and a U.S. citizen." As per the TSA page... " ...and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate."

It would be nice if that is not enforced, and I'm happy for your participation, and while it does not say non-citizens can't participate, it doesn't look like it is supposed to happen.

That said, I've entered my info and applied. We'll see what happens.

21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    All I'm saying is that I applied and was approved.

22. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be going for status on US Airways this year, so trying to figure out how I can still use this on any United flights. Maybe a dumb question: would waiting to switch my frequent flyer # from United to US Airways until after I check in online and print my boarding pass be enough?

23. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the guy you're replying to, but I flew UA today and got to use pre-check at SEA. It was very pleasant.

24. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks .. so UA issued boarding passes are encoding the pre-check info at least in Seattle.

-David

25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    My United BP showed LLL at ORD last Wednesday.

Sent from my Nexus S using milepoint

Gargoyle likes this.