TSA makes a big catch at ORD

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gargoyle, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm sure they'll be crowing about this big catch:

Oklahoma man arrested in O'Hare gun incident
    He had it in his carry-on bag, and surprisingly enough it showed up in the xray.

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And surprisingly enough, the TSO's caught it ;)

3. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, reality check. If I was from Oklahoma coming to Chicago I MIGHT BRING A GUN TOO! You cant even go to college in Chicago w/out being robbed: http://triblocal.com/evanston/2011/05/31/northwestern-student-robbed/
    I always get a laugh when traveling domestically and asked where I'm from I tell them Chicago and their immediate comment, "are you in a gang?" What?!? Seriously? I wear loafers for pete sake...am I in a gang...

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    But seriously, my son, who is actually, finally getting his PhD on June 11, is a student at the University of Chicago and was robbed of his wallet at gunpoint on the Midway (at the university.)

5. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    But is this really a "big catch"? The old Security Guards were doing this way before the TSA. It probably lit up the X-ray like a Christmas tree. A "big catch" to me will be when the TSA stops another underwear/shoe/name-your-article-of-clothing-or-body-part bomb.

Tim O'Brien and Scottrick like this.
  6. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Springfield, Oklahoma?

Chicago--A Springfield man was arrested at Chicago-O'Hare Airport today for gun possession . . .

D'OH!
    homer_mug_shot.png

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a big city and something like the above can/could happen in any city.

Tim O'Brien and Gargoyle like this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know -- I was an Angeleno for years, myself. I wasn't implying anything about Chicago, a city I really like. Just that, even on campus, stuff happens.

9. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle and sobore like this.
  12. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah you're probably being a bit sensationalist here. the majority of us UofC grads manage to survive 4+ years on that campus / in chicago without being mugged.

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Baldridge, who told police he is an aircraft mechanic, did not make it onto the plane with it. He was charged with felony boarding an aircraft with a weapon, police said."

Is this the same as attempted boarding with a weapon? Is it proper to charge someone with this if they are arrested at the TSA checkpoint before boarding?

Or are they charging him for the assumption that he brought the gun on board an earlier flight from Oklahoma to Chicago? Surely, that didn't happen, though. How could it have gotten past OK security?

14. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well...technically they all get mugged. Look at your final bill after graduation and it may feel worse than being mugged! Just a little levity ;) :)

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    So a man from OK is stopped in Chicago for flying with a gun.

Can we safely assume that he flew from OK to ORD with the gun in his possession? While I'm glad the TSO's in ORD made the discovery, I'm more worried that the agents at his departure airport completely failed at their duties.

17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very, very grateful that Dear Son, after a chokingly large undergrad bill from Cornell, found fellowships enough to support himself through his 5-year program in Chicago. (And has found work for the fall.)

Gargoyle and TimeZoneCST like this.
  18. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    one should not go to a non-professional grad program unless you're being paid, so good call. i don't regret the debt - i paid for school myself and have a great job/career path ahead.

19. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So as this thread wraps up someone out there surely can somehow turn this into one of those jokes..."so, there are three men. One from Oklahoma, one from Chicago and one from Texas..."

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice that they found the gun. But is this fellow a terrorist? Did he want to hijack the plane. Or was he just stupid and/or forgot he had a gun? He would not be the first person to do so (forget where he was going). The real question should always be - in 10 years has the TSA actually stop any terrorists? Or do most TSA staff stand around at check points and talk to each other, while collecting a good pay check and lots of US Government employee fringe benefits?

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fellow MP'ers. Just how does one "forget" he/she's packing a gun on an airplane ride? Shoes - check, shirts - check, socks - check, gun - check, bullets - check. Really??

22. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Baldridge allegedly told police: “This was my first time in Chicago and I stupidly brought it with me for protection,’’ according to the report.

23. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    It happened to my great aunt. She has a concealed carry permit and always keeps a gun in her laptop case. It just didn't occur to her to remove it before she got to the airport. DFW police said they see several of these incidents every week. It usually results in a fine (around $1000, if I remember correctly).

FWIW, I always carry lipstick and hand lotion in my purse or backpack, and sometimes I forget to remove them before I go through security. The gun isn't really any different - it's just something she always has on hand, and isn't contraband outside the security checkpoint.

gomike likes this.
  24. Reminded me of this comic: http://machall.com/view.php?date=2001-07-29

SC Flier likes this.