TSA Hearing Today

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scary. No, really.

Seriously, is this really a surprise to anyone? The idiot factor has always been alive and well. Only difference is that the TSA is now down to bragging about catching these idiots.

The good stuff came later...
    Anybody who doesn't believe the TSA is a bloated, money and power-hungry government entity should read that last paragraph again.

That 28% number needs to be higher before the airlines will start barking louder.

Story source

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    But guns in CHECKED bags are SCARY! They might fly in the cargo hold and never go off, and that would be a big problem!

paladin87 and Grace like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be the fair, there probably are some knuckleheads that just shove the gun in among their underwear or something, and not doing the required proper storage of the gun within the bag.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even so - even though that's not the right way - it's not going to HURT anything (unless, of course, it's loaded AND something shifts/bumps in such a way to actuate the trigger mechanism and possibly dislodge the safety). I'm all for proper, safe, gun handling and storage. Transporting a loaded firearm is just stupid. But the panic over guns in checked luggage is overrated.

Guns, left alone, are no more dangerous than rocks.

paladin87 likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I get, and agree, with what you're saying.

Even though I get the sense that we would disagree on The Second Amendment, I agree with you on the panic about checked guns and the stupidity of checking a loaded gun.

Mike Reed likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have relatives who live in semi-rural areas and think guns and knives are key essentials for everyday life. More than one large pocket knife has been lost when they go through security and either (1) forgot that it was against the rules or (2) forgot they even had it with them. I don't think the majority of these people are stupid, trying to sneak things by, or terrorists. It's just the same kind of inattention that still has people bringing 1 liter bottles of shampoo in their carry-ons.

iolaire likes this.
  7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The irony is that the paragraph that SHOULD have been written and was likely left out probably should have read something like this...

"Federal airport screeners still miss four to five guns at checkpoints on a typical day, and who knows how many knives and other dangerous weapons," the Transportation Security Administration's chief told a Senate hearing Wednesday.

"Yesterday we found six, but missed God knows how many, not to mention the sinister containers of lotion and hand sanitizer that our high school flunky employees can't find," Administrator John Pistole said.

misman likes this.
  8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, shouldn't that quote read "Yesterday we found six, but missed God knows how many, because we were examining the sinister containers of lotion and hand sanitizer that our high school flunky employees found"

paladin87 likes this.
  9. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes...so sorry. My mistake.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just remember, if there's no AIT, bottles larger than 3.2 oz fit in pockets. I'm not suggesting this as a valid option, just saying that the existing "safeguards" are just for show.

That, and selling beer in glass bottles in the secure area. Glass is a great material to make edged weapons from.

Security theater, folks! Besides, no set of passengers will EVER let a hijacker gain control of a plane ever again. Screen for explosives... but leave everything else alone.

Then again, these are the same folks who are unable to determine if water, the most basic chemical on earth, is actually water.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised no one commented on this total misdirection. The TSA sucks, are ineffective, incompetent and stifling travel spend, but that's okay, let's go hammer the airlines some more :rolleyes:

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I noticed it, but I think there's very little chance something like that will happen. There's NO way the airlines will concede that large cash cow. I'm sure the lobbyists have reached (or, will soon reach) her office to let her know about that.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. My counter suggestion would be: how about staffing the checkpoints with sufficient TSOs so that the lines are minimized? A few weeks ago I flew out of SFO on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and there was exactly ONE (1) xray machine and metal detector operating for the UA elite line. Needless to say the line was quite long. What a waste of time for everyone that could be used either productively (doing email at the gate/club or arriving later at the airport... or shopping/consuming food/bev in the airport).