TSA Firearm Confiscations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by flyingdawg, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like guns, I will not support guns in anyway and it is at least to me an enigma why people carry guns. IMHO, people should concentrate to build better societies, so guns wouldn't be needed in the first place, but with all the worship of money and material things, plus a "me vs. you fragmentation" I guess, this will not happen anytime soon.

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was the cover page story in today's Washington Post Express publication (free daily handed out at the metro). I didn't read it.

It’s a wonder to me that people are so scared as to feel the need to have a gun at all times and so clueless.

Side note: we were at an event talking to an older woman recently, who stated she no longer rode her bike on the road after being hit by a truck. Throughout the discussion the husband continued to state she should have had a glock and that would have solved that problem... She obviously rolled her eyes and we all envisioned the older lady, on the ground, hurt, having been hit by a truck and what good a pistol would have been...

uggboy likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TSA should require that all persons that try to go through security with a gun should be arrested and charged with "mischief with a firearm" or the similar statute in the local jurisdiction. "I forgot it was in my backpack, purse, laptop bag, pocket, holster, briefcase" just shows that you are unaware of your surroundings.

Charge them, make them miss the flight, put them on a do not fly list. But I think that charging them might stop some from carrying to the airport.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get such people not to fly and they will disappear. << Into the neighborhoods....switch on the news and you will see what people are capable of doing with their guns >>

flyingdawg and Mapsmith like this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the story:

Jesus H. Christ.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I carry nearly 100% of the time I'm in my home state and have carried in several others. Obviously this is situational, as I can't (and wouldn't) carry a gun while swimming in the ocean, riding altered momentum and inertia thrill rides, etc.

I don't carry out of fear but out of willingness. I'm willing, should the need arise, to defend myself and others. I don't have a desire to in terms of want or crave, in fact I'd rather be ready and not ever needed than called to action, but I'm willing and, more importantly, able.

I'm a sheepdog. Without demeaning anyone with what has become a political reference, I protect the sheep (and follow the laws of the land and respect law enforcement, aka the shepherd). To the sheep, I have teeth (a gun) which is scary... until the wolves come.

Hopefully they never do. Hopefully I'm never in a position to have to call to action the things I'm ready and willing to do to protect myself and others. And given a choice, a safe escape is always preferable - not every violent situation requires violence to end. If it does, however, I and others like me are the ones you want around.

I'll find a link to the recently commissioned and completed CDC study on gun violence. It actually found that armed citizens were at statistically significant lower risks for being injured as a result of crime and violence. Not what they intended to find, but the results bore it out.

It's good that in someplace like Texas, a "middle of the road" state in terms of gun rights (as opposed to Vermont or Arizona, for instance), less than 5% of the populace has a concealed carry permit (meaning state and federal background check). If it were higher, that would indicate a significant need for more shepherds - more law enforcement - because people would be carrying out of fear and more likely to inappropriately use weapons.

Counsellor, flyingdawg, MX and 3 others like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Good points, Mike. By your postings throughout MilePoint, I am sure that you are one who knows EXACTLY where his firearms are located at all times. It is the people that do not seem to concern themselves with the location of their weapons that brings articles like this to the forefront.

flyingdawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of Guns and doing the right thing, last Week's This American Life podcast had an a story on Guns and doing the right thing.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad.../the-one-thing-youre-not-supposed-to-do?act=2
    or read the transcript at the section headed, "Act Two. The Gun Thing You’re Not Supposed to Do"
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/498/transcript

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the article, that IS what happens, depending on state/local laws.

You would think/hope so, but to quote the great Ron White, "You can't fix stupid." I'm sure some of these idiots would do the same thing again, just because some people really are that dumb.

See above quote.

Same.

flyingdawg likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but I still double check my safe before I leave for the airport to make sure everything is accounted for. Too paranoid to even carry in the car when I'm headed to catch a flight because all it would take is one distracting phone call, one traffic jam, etc. and I'd be the next idiot you're reading about with TSA.

BTW, most, if not all of these either end up with no federal charges or a plea agreement for 6 months of deferred adjudication. State charges? That's up to each state and or locality. I'm not sure what Austin's stance is.

Mapsmith, LETTERBOY and flyingdawg like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The study: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=18319.

The CDC's research reveals that contrary to popular political mythology, guns actually save lives more than not. It also demonstrates that the traditional sources of statistics used by politicians are absurdly skewed.

From commentary on another board (about firearm politics): "This means that the statistics that have been used by politicians are wrong, and the number is actually considerably higher. I don't believe the 3M per year, but the 108,000 is an absurd number to come up with since the respondents were not specifically asked about defensive use."

The study continues:

Again interpretation from another board: "This means that if you are attacked, and you have a gun, you are likely to escape with less injuries than if you decided to vomit, urinate / defecate on yourself, or claim that you have a disease."

Other notable findings:

* violent crime rates have declined in recent years, despite the Federal assault weapon ban expiring 9 years ago
    * firearm related suicides significantly outnumber firearm related homicides, which further skews the "gun violence" statistics that are traditionally held (not to mention that removing one avenue to suicide doesn't prevent others such as strangulation, asphyxiation, overdose, suicide by cop, etc.)
    * regarding firearm related homicides, the study found that approximately 3% of firearm related assaults are fatal. Seems to be a far cry from the magical device used to decimate populations.
    * the study concluded that there are many facets to gun violence that are not easily categorized or characterized, but in a generalized defensive situation, a gun is more likely to save lives than not.

Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.