TSA: fail

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by effseeoh, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    goalie, Muerl, jrp2 and 4 others like this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some great observations based on actual experience in that article, thanks for posting. I think the tide is slowly changing here in the US but it's going to be a long tough road. Rolling back bureaucracies is difficult at the best of times.

CharlesG and effseeoh like this.
  3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it was a great read until the last two images :/

hpc, CharlesG and effseeoh like this.
  4. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hehe.

CharlesG likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    how so?

I personally could not disagree more, I'd make an analogy to drug mules, the folks distributing drugs know that so many will get caught but many more get through.

6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see small signs in my travels and in the press that viewpoints are shifting.

Just last week I opted out and was waved through the regular metal detector without any fuss or additional screening which is a first for me. When I first opted out years ago it was almost threatening in how TSA handled that. The last year or so it's been very civil. Now this latest development. I see a trend.

traveltoomuch and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAH seems to be getting more hardnosed about security. I have only seen them lighten up about the liquid requirement, but they require everyone thru AIT after 8:30A each morning. They seem exasperated when they have opt-outs. And on the elite side of Terminal C they get quite a few.

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    But drug distribution and terrorism are very different industries.

In drug distribution the mules are disposable in the sense there are always more people looking to run drugs. Stupid, gullible or desperate people can easily accomplish the task of swallowing drugs and vomiting them back up. Finding people who are willing to kill many people including themselves with the skills to accomplish it and the actual will to follow through, is not as simple.

Drug runners can easily throw 1000 mules a year through the gears. Al Qaeda is likely lucky to find 5 or 10. Its then stuck trying to figure out which place to send these people.

And the one thing 9/11 really changed, is if someone is crazy and takes over an aircraft, all the other people on the aircraft kick their ass. That's what happened to the "underwear bomber", that's what happened to the "shoe bomber."
    It changed the complacency of the bystander, and made them react.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no doubt not as simple but seems to me I hear about bombings every few days or so (& those are just the ones I hear about), where the bomber would know they are going to die. So difficult, yes, but there seems to be a supply of people willing to carry out suicide missions
    again while I agree that some may have become more mobilized and I might even go as far as to say that you or I might take action if something occurred on a plane, chances are there are plenty who won't, human nature.