TSA Expanding Pre-Check to Some International Itineraries on 5/7

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DestinationDavid, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced today that beginning May 7, 2013, in addition to domestic travel, TSA Pre✓™ participants will be eligible for expedited screening on select international travel itineraries. Eligible passengers traveling on Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and US Airways will be allowed to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case, and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bag in a carry-on.

Passengers flying internationally from the 40 participating TSA Pre✓™ airports may be eligible to receive expedited screening. In addition, passengers with connecting domestic flights who arrive in the United States on an international flight may use the TSA Pre✓™ lanes when going through the screening process at participating airports after being cleared by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

“By expanding TSA Pre✓™ beyond domestic air travel, we are further demonstrating our commitment to identifying innovative ways to securely move travelers more quickly through our airports,” said TSA Administrator John S. Pistole. “Through TSA Pre✓™, TSA can quickly process passengers who we know more about. This allows us to focus more of our time on those passengers about whom we know less.”

Eligible passengers include U.S. citizens who are members of certain airline frequent flier programs or are members of CBP Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI and NEXUS. Additionally, Canadian citizens who are NEXUS members are also eligible for TSA Pre✓™. Individuals interested in joining a CBP trusted traveler program can learn more by visiting www.cbp.gov.

TAHKUCT, SensFan, jbcarioca and 8 others like this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news! I really miss not being able to bypass the security lines on my international flights!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent now I can really pace myself for an international flight if I get PreCheck on that day.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see what the "selected itineraries" are. I can think of a few countries that probably won't qualify. But hopefully this should be good for visits to western Europe, etc.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    John Pistole gave an interview and stated: European Union, Canada, and Australia. ;)

Edit to add: Here's the interview w/ the NYT - LINK.

Q. When will the program cover international travel?
    A. We reached an agreement with the European Union, Canada and Australia for them to accept PreCheck passengers from the United States. So starting in the near future, those people that are part of PreCheck or Global Entry will be allowed to go through PreCheck when they fly internationally.

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LHR this coming Monday...we'll see what happens. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hallelujah. Having to deal with the government-mandated massage routine every time I come back to St. John's from the States is getting old. It will be awesome to not have to futz with it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    what about carribean colonies?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This morning at MIA they were taking people who qualified out of the line and moving them to the PRE line. Once the ID checker noticed that they could use it, they moved them to the PRE queue

free101girl and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're a man well known for excellent posts David, but this one is your very best single post in my considered opinion. I have been waiting, waiting and waiting for this. I've asked repeatedly and been told it was "imminent" what ever that meant. Now it is here!:D Oh, joy!:) What bliss!:)

After a considerable time speeding through immigartion and Customs thanks to the Most Excellent Global Entry, this last step transforms my traveling to the USA. It is now officially civilised!

Thanks, David
    bow and worship smiley.jpg

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I am astonished. There are no smileys broad enough for this one. I'll now be elated most of the time. No more endless queuing at the EU entry points we all formerly hated. I wonder if the EU will mean Shengen only or if it will include the pseudo-EU members such as the UK? Do you know, David?

free101girl likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No idea actually, I think we'll just need to see some test cases of fellow FFers going through the system. I have a friend doing JFK-LHR on Friday. Will see how her experience goes...!

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't do much but read about it and post it here...lol ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So... Turkey counts? I got my first trip there this week!

P.S. Yes, I know they are not part of the regions mentioned, but may be they'll get accepted into EU by Friday :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I get precheck by flashing a Nexus card, or do I need to prereg with the airline and hope for "access" printed on my BP

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy Turkey. Too bad there's no GE there.

17. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    wao its great, thanks for your post.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. SFO 1K

SFO 1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worked on 8 May for me - DEN-LAX-NRT-MNL. DEN triple beeped and off I went. Person in front of me also flying Int'l and he got it too (unknown destination)

19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I had a connecting flight in EWR and the boarding pass for that flight had TSA PreCheck... even though I didn't even need to go through security. This is funky.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to put your "trusted traveler" number into your airline profile to get PreCheck with your airline first.

21. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait to start using it to go to Canada. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    So pleased that I will have my GE interview at JFK tomorrow. Any words of advice? I seem to recall seeing a while back that it was really a minimalist interview but wanted to confirm.

garyst16 and jbcarioca like this.
  23. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not an "interview" in the normal sense but rather an review of your application. They take your picture, get your fingerprints and put the sticker in the passport. Then they demonstrate the kiosk procedure. My interview was finished in about twenty minutes at JFK.

Finding the location of the office is the hardest part.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is. Mostly they explain how to use the GE system. If they're not busy they sometimes walk people through one.

The only holdup might be if there is a crossed public records search. That happened to me but produced a laugh when the agents noted that I did not match the racial characteristics of my co-name holder and moreover I was not currently incarcerated in a maximum security prison. Even that only took about five minutes to resolve.

Have fun!

25. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they are mostly very minimalist.

In our case, probably because we are self-employed, they asked some questions about our income and the sources of it. In fact, I know I brought along a copy of our most recent tax return and showed it to the interviewer. I'm not in the habit of carrying my return around, so they must have requested in the inteview letter that we bring it along. Maybe they just wanted to confirm that we weren't making our money outside the US? It was an odd little government fishing operation... but anyway the interviewer hardly glanced at it.

We were also asked a little about our travel patterns, but that's probably because we travel internationally a lot, and to seemingly random destinations, which are basically dictated by whim and where we find deals.

Even with the extra scrutiny we apparently received, whole thing took 20 minutes, including showing us how to use the kiosk.