TSA Embarrasses Dying Passenger, Denies Her Private Screening

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done, TSA.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know it, I know it, it's disgusting. The TSA needs re-education and re-formulation.

ella, IDGflygirl, ACMM and 3 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...that's terrible...another example of pathetic and unprofessional TSA behavior... :confused:

ella, IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and 5 others like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agents involved should be immediately terminated, and I hope she finds a good attorney to sue the bastards. How any human being could do that to the poor lady is beyond my belief. All TSA agents need to be given a class in how to handle a situation like that before they are ever allowed to work.

MX, IDGflygirl, estnet and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is an ambulance chaser when you need one...????????? The TSA should be made to pay big $$$$ as compensation to allow this person to spend the rest of her days in Hawaii on the TSA's dime...

:mad:

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outrageous.

7. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad to say, it's not really a suprise. TSA is generally considered to be either inept, corrupt, inefficient, or all three and more. They certainly should've allowed a private search.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sad....... I'm asked all the time if I want a private screening - when I opt out - and never have a need for one so always refuse. This poor lady got the opposite treatment - I agree that the agents who refused deserve to be terminated!

9. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TSA is freaking useless. I wonder what needs to be done to get them abolished.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is just shocking to hear that TSA agents can be so callous.

(MP needs something to click for posts such as these where "like" isn't really appropriate, but we react to the post.)

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was obvious at the time that the creation of DHS was a panicked overreaction to 9/11. When the right-wing inserted all the anti-labor clauses into the TSA bill, that sealed its fate as an incompetent organization that could never attract smart, professional employees. If you want a high-caliber staff that treats the public with respect, you have to treat the staff with respect.

Of course, now that TSA and DHS exist, it's almost impossible to abolish, since they are now seen as conduits to channel government funds to private companies. Entitlement programs may get the press and attention during campaigns, but no one dares touch corporate welfare and government funds for private companies. Just look at the nudie-scopes, which are a sweet revenue source for their suppliers.

estnet likes this.
  12. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting to see the official press release from TSA stating that all agents were "following proper procedure"

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    anabolism likes this.
  14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's true, but another factor at play is that no official wants to be the person responsible for reducing security when the next incident happens. It's easy to criticize the existence of security measures anonymously on the internet, I wonder how many people who do so would be willing to publish their names and addresses and assume moral and financial liability in the event that reduced security is followed by death or damage?

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

Already happened

Funny, and telling, how the TSA won't release the video from the incident.

16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ask again... where are the blood thirsty lawyers...??????

Isnt there $$$$ to be made here....? What has become of the glorious American Legal Profession...?????

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, no one wants to be seen as "reducing security." But many security experts (including Bruce Schneier among others, as well as some from Israel, which has maybe the most effective airport security system) have pointed out that our system does not provide security, but merely annoying theater. As for your probably rhetorical question, I'd be perfectly happy to publish my name and (mailing) address and assume whatever moral responsibility that would entail. I can't imagine anyone anywhere is willing to assume financial responsibility for policy. Has any policy maker, regulator, legislator, government official, or policy expert ever done that?

MX likes this.
  18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link!

So the TSA denies it.

I like the quote how the TSA are not in fact idiots:

At no time was the passenger asked or required to remove bandages or lift bandages. I am sure many people see TSOs are idiots with no common sense, but as you know the vast [majority] of us do not act without thinking. Clearly asking someone to remove bandages could further impact a person’s health, not to mention we are not medical professionals with ability to assess what tubes go where and what they do.

So, now I have to wonder: what actually happened? Could this be a case of a story based more on perception and feeling that a recitation of facts (i.e., if the TSA isn't lying, and if we assume that the poor woman has no motive to fabricate the event, then is it possible that the woman, already under more stress than I can imagine, felt traumatized by the pat-down and searches that her perception is that bandages were lifted and saline bags punctured?)

19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I look at it this way.....the TSA regularly releases surveillance video when it needs to cover its PR ass. They have done it several times before, yet they have not done it in this case. That's very telling to me in what the truth might be.

USAF_Pride and anabolism like this.
  20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point.

21. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. ronin308

ronin308 Active Member

Status Points:
    Bruce Schneier is not a physical security expert and most of the Israelis are trying to sell their own "products" in the form of consulting and services. Further many of the people rebelling against the TSA now would have similar issues with the Israeli methods.

I do agree that you're never going to get Congress to rescind TSA authority, you can see that now despite the verbal posturing of certain members, they have yet to take any real action.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What does "physical security expert" mean?

And Ben Guiron has a throughput of about 10 million people per year, whereas the TSA's tentacles reach out to about 750 million per year. The sheer manpower would not allow the Israeli method here. Besides, most of what the Israelis do at the airports would be considered illegal in the United States.

Of course the Israelis want to sell their services, they know the TSA would pay any kind of money to have the feeling (and that's all it is, a feeling) of what they do. The Israelis aren't stupid.
    Further, the screening at Ben Guiron does not involve anything like the shoe carnival or liquid removal. Thus, "many of the people," as you say, would be thrilled with Israeli-style security. Not to mention they're effective, whereas the TSA is largely ineffective and just for show.

USAF_Pride, anabolism and Gargoyle like this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would suspect TSA's budget is more than 75 times larger than the Israeli airport security budget, and the US population is 40 times that of Israel, so we have a larger pool of potential employees to draw upon. Yet we tend to drain from the bottom of that pool.

USAF_Pride and ACMM like this.
  25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some would call it the sludge.

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

USAF_Pride and Gargoyle like this.