TSA Checkpoint Best Practice Recommendations: Avoiding the Arms in the air debacle

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by PhlyingRPh, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most irritating part about the pat down, well, apart from having some strange bloke estimate where your privates hang down to through your trousers, is having to keep your arms out for the duration of the festivities. Its definitely uncomfortable and may make one feel like they have no control over the process. IMO, the best way to avoid having to keep one's arms up is to tell the TSO up front that, due to a chronic condition, one is unable keep arms extended. It has been my experience that I have been allowed to keep my arms by my side as a result of this declaration. However, on both occasions that I have made this declaration, I have been asked what condition I have, to which I have replied that I am not comfortable sharing my private medical history with anyone. A supervisor has had to clear the TSO to perform the modified pat down and this has not presented any problems.

goalie and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a torn rotator cuff where it is extremely painful to lift my right arm past half-way to shoulder height so I simply tell the TSO just that (and no more ;)) and have always been met with something like, "that's fine, just lift it as high as you can but keep a space between your arm and your body"

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  3. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do ask for space. However, space is a variable concept, and if a passenger wants to maintain control over their own body, the pat down process and the TSO, it is important that one limits the amount of space provided to the absolute bear minimum and that the TSO is the one who is made to feel mildly uncomfortable.