TSA bars battery-dead cellphones from flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Does this latest TSA restriction make sense?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  3. Dunno/Don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link to piece:
    =====================================================================
    By Gail Sullivan July 7 at 2:56 AM

If your cellphone is out of power the next time you fly to the United States from overseas, you might have to leave it behind.

The Transportation Security Administration announced Sunday that on certain overseas flights to the United States, it will not permit “powerless devices” — cellphones and computers that cannot be turned on. Airport security officers may ask passengers to power-on devices during security screening, which could mean slower security lines for travelers. Passengers could also be taken out of line for questioning, TSA said.

Continue reading...
    ======================================================================

This is of interest to me because just yesterday I came back from HKG with a dead smartphone (a DROID) that had inexplicably stopped working because it would not power up. Had this restriction been in effect I would have lost the darn phone, which came back on and is working just fine after I did a hard reset...

P.S. Here's the actual TSA Press Release:

Newscience likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wise agency in question might need to catch up with the latest Supreme Court ruling that warrantless smartphone searches are unconstitutional.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outstanding point. However, the TSA's counter argument would be that they are not interested in searching smartphones. They simply want to make sure that a phone can be powered on, which would indicate that it was not rigged to explode...

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usual TSA stupid nonsense a cell phone rigged to explode cannot be rigged to be powered on?:rolleyes: What happens if your phone battery is dead? Is it blown up and/or will you banned from flying? Edited to add that its being reported that the latter will be the policy of BA ... just gives me yet another reason to avoid that airline.:(

Plus why target the newer phone models? Are those the only ones that can be used for that purpose?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to one of the news radio stations I heard on the way to work, if the phone does not power up it may be required to be included in checked baggage.

IDGflygirl and WilliamQ like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like there's no longer any intel analysis on our end. Whatever the crazies feed to the listening bugs is being accepted as gospel.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would content that you got that backwards. The lack of "intel analysis" is on the TSA side, since they are the ones who keep coming up with these bizarre restrictions. To provide TSA's rationale is hardly the same thing as to endorse or agree with it...I started the thread and cast my vote (it should be clear what it was) based on my own "intel analysis".;)

Newscience likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they think it could be a bomb, they want to carry it on the plane in the luggage compartment? Say again?

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ likes this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    My use of the word 'our' above did not apply to anyone in this community. But you're correct that however we divide between us and them, the esteemed agency might as well be the enemy's agent. LOL

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. A "fifth column" within the US government?:D

Newscience and MX like this.
  12. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder which countries are the 'certain countries' in the article.

13. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Moderately old timers should remember this requirement from a decade or so ago - applied to laptops at the time, before smart phones.

Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok... take a deep breath...
    If TSA received "credible" intel and do not act on it, they are screwed (9-11)
    If TSA received "credible" intel and acted on it, they are screwed...

Reminds me of the security officers feedbacks at my work place. Enforcement vs convenience of "trusted" employees / management.
    Anyone remember the show "Firewall"

NYCUA1K likes this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to worry -that assumes intelligence! :p

MX and NYCUA1K like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember and I did have to power my laptop on at airport security check a few times (in fact, I once had to do it prior to entering a federal building here in NYC). The logic then is that because not a single laptop has ever been found rigged with explosives, let's target smartphones?

Newscience likes this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a must-read piece in the NY Times that, as usual, is much clearer and provides more details and has this with respect to which countries are affected:
    I think that you have a point. Reading this must-read NYT piece suggests that we here may be a bit too cynical. Commercial airliners remain the terrorists' favorite targets because it achieves the most firework for the bang -- the very goal of terrorists. A plane has not gone down since 9/11/01 as a result of an attack, not because the terrorists have not tried to bring one down, but because of increased vigilance and sheer luck. So, we should probably give the authorities (TSA, DHS, Interpol, etc) some slack. In that light, I would like to recall this:
    because they might return to checking laptops and other devices, and we'll get used to it:

anileze, Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  18. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only your smartphone. but any I pad or tablet/ e-reader. So you fly from the UAE to land in LHR to fly to the US. You were using your I pad to read your book. You have run out of juice so you can't fly because you read a book, and don't have enough time to recharge your I pad. So no trip home for you. Must spend a night in London to charge your I pad. Brilliant!!!!

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too melodramatic. This is a more realistic scenario:
    They'll probably have spare chargers for those who do not have theirs handy. Thus, you would be able to travel except that you may have to leave your device behind if it flat out fails to power up. But is it not precisely the point that a device that fails to power up should not be trusted to get onto the plane?

WilliamQ and Gargoyle like this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They probably have boxes of spare chargers that travelers accidentally left behind at the checkpoints.

I think the assumption is that bomb workings could be concealed in the electronics of a phone. But if that is the case, they could be concealed in a camera, phone charger, gps unit, headphones, or any of a million other devices. Will we have to power up our noise canceling headphones?

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to news accounts, the available intel is that the bomb makers in Yemen have been modifying smartphones, hence the focus on such devices for the time being...

WilliamQ likes this.
  22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are really just doing their job and acting on their intel.
    In this instance, I would rather have this check then to risk getting blown up mid-air by a terrorist using a smartphone bomb.
    The portable / external batteries has just got themselves a new demand stream.

IDGflygirl and NYCUA1K like this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and I always wondered back then what exactly I proved by having the BIOS startup message appear on the screen.

And now that we have told them that we have that intel, they will switch to modifying electric toothbrushes.

So those contract "security" workers that do the secondary screening at the gate at EMEA airports are now allowed by the TSA to confiscate my personal property?

As for what's going to happen to them...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...certified-refurbished-unlocked-gsm-iphones-5s

MX likes this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. Either leave a large SASE so that it can be forwarded to you...by boat :D, or its fate might as well be what you surmised below...

25. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dead batteries in phones. What's next, human rumps? I have good intel that people can use their rectum to store bombs that aren't detectable by nude o' scopes or metal detectors.

anileze likes this.