TSA at ORD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Nov 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a 5:44 AM flight out of ORD this morning. Got there early enough and checked in. Went to the "Premier Security" line. Walked in and found that it was merging with the economy line about 30 people downline from me, and that the combined line was feeding into one (1) security clearance point. WHAT?!?!?

The economy line had hundreds of people in it. Everyone was angry, but civil. I was pleased to see how easily the merge point was functioning without any supervision. Everyone (at least those that I witnessed) was taking turns, one economy passenger then one Premier passenger, etc., without incident.

One lone TSA agent was working on setting up the opening of a second lane, which finally happened about 5 people behind me, of course, while I still had 15 to 20 people between me and the previously open checkpoint for which I was still waiting. No effort was made to make sure that those who had been waiting the longest were accommodated first. It took me 50 total minutes to get through this mess.

While many were speculating that the shortage of TSA workers had something to do with the storm, it seemed contradictory to me, as I would have thought that even the TSA would anticipate extra traffic in Chicago as people routed themselves around the east coast. It isn't like pilots or FAs who had to be flown in to man the planes. This was Chicago! They already have employees stationed there, and there were no weather issues.

Many in line said that they fly regularly out of ORD at that hour, and that three lanes are always open. It was sure frustrating and unnerving to watch the clock tick away. I was in F, and by the time I boarded all the overhead space was full of economy passengers' stuff. It was a mess.

Although I didn't say anything because I had a very close connection to make at IAH and didn't want to delay our departure, we pushed back 5 minutes early. I barely had my seat belt on when they closed the door, and I couldn't help but wonder how many people missed that flight (and others) because the TSA was so inept. I would write a complaint to the TSA if I thought it would do any good, but I couldn't help but think how different things would have been if the company that runs security at SFO were in charge at ORD. ::heavy sigh::

8MiHi and sobore like this.
  2. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes air travel can just be a pain; & TSA has never been anything but terrible. However, at the end of the day, the benefits of travel outweigh these inconveniences. Still, sorry about the line agony. It took me nearly an hour to get through Denpasar Bali a few days ago (the VOA dilemma).

KenInEscazu likes this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a pre-check line at ORD? Recently flew through there and when I asked I received blank stares as if I were talking a language they did not understand.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Both AA and UA have it.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I failed to mention that pre check was open in addition to the line in which I waited. My destination was intl., however, so I didn't qualify.

6. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the same issue when I flew out Monday evening (10/29). Premier and general merged into one with little issue except folks coming from back of the general line to the back of the premier line. It was a 9pm flight which generally isn't a busy travel time and the security line took significantly longer than normal (20mins).

Not sure why. Possibly they expected the airport to be less crowded and thus under-staffed?

7. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last Sunday evening, the premier lane queue was backed up to about the middle of the terminal and pre-check was closed. I walked down to T2 and used the mid-terminal checkpoint there - three people in line.

8. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Its is to the Far Left of UA Premier Check In Desks ( not marked that well ). Wow is ORD Busy in the mornings. I think I saved over 30 minutes when I was beeped in to Pre Check..