TSA and small kids, toys & stroller, etc.

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gaucho, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wondering if any traveling parents with small kids have any special tips on this... we are going to be suffering from the TSA treatment at MIA and my better half is not exactly very tolerant when it comes to our kids and "strangers" touching their stuff.

A couple of questions I have include...

a) is it OK to put dolls & teddy bears in transparent plastic bags...?
    b) strollers are OK to get into a sterile area, or...?
    c) I assume its OK for us to have our 20 month old daughter in our arms as we pass through the detectors?
    d) whats the latest on liquids like baby formula/milk, etc....?

Im not overly concerned, but my better half is kinda' going nuts about the details. Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Believe it or not, I've always found the TSA to be at their best when dealing with toddlers. We've really had no problems. We can either carry the kids through or walk them through and strollers, teddy bears, etc. are fine. No need to take the toys out of your bag.

We always keep a separate bag with everything for the kids, including the liquid products and the formula. They search the bag separately and send us on our way. It's almost pleasant.

Mike

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I was always treated better when with my kids. If it was not illegal I would rent kids to business travelers to improve their TSA experience.

jneugeba likes this.
  4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's illegal? Oh, man...

Mike

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which part is illegal? Renting the kids or the TSA experience?

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume both!

7. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    a) yes
    b) yes, but unless they fit into the x-ray machine, expect a manual inspection
    c) yes, but don't be surprised if the TSA decides it wants to do extra "screening" because of that.
    d) it's ok to take just about any quantity that can be taken as being reasonable volume, but it will routinely result in additional screening of the liquids, of the passenger claiming the items that don't fit the "3-1-1" plastic bag rule and the claiming passenger's other belongings. ETD swabbing on the outside of unopened containers is part of such a process.

If there are more than two adults and multiple minors, I suggest that the adult in charge of the liquids/gels only be in charge of one infant while the other responsible adult take charge of the personal belongings x-rayed in order to minimize the amount of belongings and persons to be subject to extra screening (which takes up more time).

If your mentioned infant or other children are in diapers still, note that the TSA may rub their diapered rump. Fortunately the TSA doesn't seem so eager to rub the front (often more bulky) front side of the diaper, but with the TSA there are no guarantees.

[The TSA in the US is not as bad about infants and infant-related liquids/gels as some of the BAA-LHR "security" screeners who are quite literally the worst I've ever witnessed anywhere when it comes to the handling of liquids/gels for infants.]

8. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why assume both would necessarily be illegal under US federal law and/or state law?

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for the kind replies!