TSA and Children's Identification

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, Aug 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm traveling with my 5 year old grandson next week MSP to SEA, without his parents. What do I need in terms of identification or permission to take him with me. I know what's needed when leaving the country with a minor but what about state to state? TIA

Btw, I used my AMX voucher and purchased two business class seats for the price of one. I'm sure I'll see a few eye-rolls when we take our seats but he's a very well-behaved kid and hopefully my cabin mates will not even remember he's there.

bez7, Newscience, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If anyone rolls their eyes, that's their problem. He's a revenue pax, he belongs where he is sitting.

bez7, anileze, Newscience and 6 others like this.
  3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Although it might be fun to let people think he's a SM Diamond and was upgraded!

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As to ID, I don't know what they require- check with the airline to be sure. Nowadays they will need proof that he is with you legally.

Newscience and FetePerfection like this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.tsa.gov/contact-us

Up to you if you want some sort of health care proxy from the parents or not. Otherwise, you need nothing.

-David

bez7, anileze, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't need anything at all. I've traveled with many minors and on domestic flights I have never needed any ID. Not a letter from the other parent nor any health statement. Even going international all I ever needed was the minor's passport.

bez7, Newscience and FetePerfection like this.
  7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't need anything that I know of but I would still have a signed letter from the parents just in case anyone questions anything. We all know folks make up rules so I would personally want at least something to show "officials" if requested.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are saying the same thing I said. The health proxy was not for the flight. I thought that was obvious. :)

-David

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certain international destinations (specifically, Mexico) require notarized consent for the minor to travel from the non-present parent even when the minor is traveling with one parent. This is not a TSA thing but rather based on the immigration requirements of the destination country and enforced during the airline's check-in document check procedure (since, as with visas, they don't want to have to fly you back if you lack proper documentation).

It's an anti-non-custodial-kidnapping measure.

anileze likes this.
  10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is also the policy in Brasil.

anileze likes this.
  11. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I traveled with nieces and nephews several times. TSA would ask them what their name is to verify name on BP, but they needed no ID. I always had health care proxy and the child's insurance ID so that I could seek medical help if needed. We always traveled domestic US though.

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle and anileze like this.
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the OP was specifically asking about US domestic travel, MSP - SEA.

" I know what's needed when leaving the country with a minor but what about state to state?"

-David

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone's input. I've confirmed nothing's officially needed to travel with him, however, to be on the safe side I'm going to bring along a note from his parents. I appreciate your time and interest in my question.

15. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was really concerned since we had a few family flights planned and my then toddler had a habit of yelling out to 'let me go' and similar, I wondered what ID I'd need to show he actually belonged to me and that I wasn't a kidnapper. One trip was especially concerning as we were approaching the TSA checkpoint and he started...I was imagining the worst.

16. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quick update: made it to SEA and back with only one TSA person questioning my grandson as to his name, age and where he was headed. I know she thinks she's ferreting out potential kidnapping, but she really sounded ridiculous with her "style" of questioning. Otherwise, official ID or permission slips were not needed. Btw, we had a great time!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    iolaire and IDGflygirl like this.