Trying to upgrade UA IAD - MUC flight...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PackHorse, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everybody,

I'm flying next week from CMH to IAD to MUC on a UA. I am currently booked on a Y fare economy seat and would like to upgrade to Business Class. On the UA website, it says that I can request an upgrade by using 20,000 miles and paying a $250 co-pay. However, when I click on the "Upgrade or Cancel Individual Segments" it says on the IAD - MUC that "this type of upgrade is not available for international flights." Does that mean that I can't request an upgrade?

I've looked at seating avaiability for the flight and seen that there are still plenty of business class seats are still available. So, I'm not sure if I just can't upgrade because I'm not an elite traveler or if something else is stopping me from upgrading that segment.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fastest way to find out would be to pick up the call and ring UAL. If there's a seat available, you'll get it---but make sure the trans-atlantic is upgraded, not just the CMH-IAD. The website is often wonky, upgrade-wise.

Andrew Sabata likes this.
  3. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    joanek,

Thanks for the advice. I just got off the phone with the UA rep and I was able to upgrade to Business Class for only 10K miles! That's an even better outcome than I thought. UA certainly inspired my loyalty with that treatment.

Rlpro and joanek like this.
  4. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's wonderful! Congratulations, and enjoy your trip! I know most people would do anything rather than pick up the phone and call---but i find it's often the easiest way to take care of this type of thing.

Lufthansa Flyer and Rlpro like this.