Trying to Redeem BA Companion Voucher

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Toula, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to find available flights from SFO to any destination in Europe using the companion voucher. Going through the BA website there is not any availability in First or Business until October which seems a bit odd as when I check on the Expert Flyer website there are multiple empty seats in First most days. I also tried to search out of LAX and had the same result.

Now I know that just because seats are for sale doesn't mean they will make them available for redemption, but do BA open up seats for award bookings as departure dates get closer and seats remain unsold?

I am assuming I am going to have to use the call center to make the booking as we want to go into one city and out of another, however I don't want to waste their time with general enquiries of the fluffy nature which describes how firm our plans are at the moment.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing some F award availability leaving mid August(Aug 15) and returning September 1. Also seeing more F availability from SAN.

I'm finding CW availability from LAX in Aug and Sept and from SFO on Aug 30 returning Sept 7.

Horse likes this.
  3. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Availability can be opened up later on, depending on loads. So do keep checking.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check the BA website sector by sector on a one-way basis. You may find more than by specifying a through-journey.

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know it's frustrating but it is one more indication of the need to plan these trips way in advance. To keep perspective, check American carriers and you will find nothing - period!

Finally, you can probably get the NY to LHR sector more easily and then either work backwards to pay to go East. Good luck!

6. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a booking in December/January for a trip next month. I'm flying JFK->LHR->TLV, TLV->LHR +16hrs LCY->JFK. Considering switching that last segment to BA First rather than CW LCY just for the hell of it...but to my story:

Searched one segment at a time. This matters b/c BA runs two aircraft (767,777) to TLV. The 777 has F, the 767 just has CW (and based on my following of the FT executive club forum, this apparently often times this gets downgraded to CE pretty frequently).

Initially found a lot of availability LHR to JFK, regular availability LHR to TLV and back, but the outbound was a pain. I snagged a seat on a 777 out of EWR but i really wanted to leave from JFK so i diligently checked back every week. At one point i called YouFirst and they informed me that far in advance award inventory was being restricted a little more than they're used to seeing given the new relationship with Iberia and AA. In March, availability opened up and i was able to switch to JFK.

If you're finding it difficult, I'd consider looking at other BA gateways on the West Coast for availability and consider purchasing a round trip or one way depending on whether or not outbound or return availability exists to SFO. (ie. if you can find return but not outbound seats to SFO, maybe snag a cheap one-way to Vegas on the Eastbound leg and start your BA two-fer from there...)

7. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the same boat, trying to find somewhere to go with my companion ticket. I'll be flying out of LAX - tried to do LAX - London - Male but doesn't appear BA metal goes there.

Can someone suggest destinations outside of Europe that BA goes to? Is there a comprehensive list?

8. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA has a list and route map on their site (as do most airlines, some are more user friendly than others) http://www.britishairways.com/travel/routeintro/public/en_gb

Also, yes. BA does fly to Male from LGW, but not daily.

9. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    but it seems like this is a list of everywhere BA flies rather than just on BA metal?

10. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....but BA does fly to Male, which is where you wanted to go, right?

11. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is, but the online booking tool keeps telling me Male isn't eligible, guess I'll have to pick up the phone

12. Cody
    Original Member

Cody Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm having the same trouble finding award options on BA metal for my companion fare. Was thinking of taking my family to South America and was told it's a no-go with the companion fare from North America. Was considering Australia/NZ for the new year, but can't see that BA has qualifying flights. We live in AK so flights out of the West Coast or EWR are the easiest from a positioning standpoint...since the companion fare won't let us fly out of ANC.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of routes BA flies (ie: to-from like a useable timetable)? The link provided above appears to just be a list of cities they fly to, which doesn't tell me how to route the flight or if I even can fly there from North America.

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Right. Because the companion award has to be used on BA flights only. Also remember that partner awards flying relatively directly can often cost fewer miles than flying BA via London, e.g. US to Asia is much cheaper flying on an all-Cathay Pacific itinerary than flying BA. So much so that a companion award may not be a savings.

The companion award is going to be a good bet to destinations where BA is either your best or your only option. It's going to be useful for flying to Europe, to Africa, and to places live TLV and assuming MLE can be made to work that would be another good one. India would be another one to consider.

Cody likes this.
  14. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a start, try http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP and use the options on the left.

I think that all BA mainline routes have one end in London, so that may help with getting a mental picture of what you'd need to do if you have to fly BA metal. (By "route", I include multi-stop flights like LHR-BKK-SYD, where BA may or may not have selling rights for the sector that does not touch LON.)

Cody likes this.