Trying to make sure I understand

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TheCubicleEscapee, Apr 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TheCubicleEscapee

TheCubicleEscapee Active Member

Status Points:
    OK like I said in another post I am new. I just learned about the 3 cpm or 4cpm depending on who I ask.

I found a flight for 142 on MSP for next weekend on AA if I was to go (I can't this is theoretically) that is 854 miles one way 1708 RT this would be .066 cpm so this would not be considered a good deal?

I am determined to get the hang on this MR process :)

Thanks

Jen

Travelsavant and gregm like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage running is basically dead, except for American Airlines. That's because mileage running is for earning status, not redeemable miles (which can be purchased more cheaply elsewhere). The other major US carriers now have a minimum spend requirement for status which makes it impossible to earn status with cheap mileage runs (unless you spend a lot of money on one of their credit cards).

In any event, $142 divided by 1708 miles is 8.31 cents per mile -- not in mileage run territory. Short flights virtually never are. For flights always below 6cpm, check out The Flight Deal.

3. TheCubicleEscapee

Status Points:
    Gotcha. OK great thank you!

Jen

Travelsavant and gregm like this.
  4. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being that your in DFW (or Texas somewhere) you may need to look into a good fare to anchorage or Honolulu, or even a cheap fare to the east coast or west coast to get a good long cheap segment.

I'm based in Seattle so sometimes I'll find a deal out of Portland to go PDX-PHX-PHL-PVD-CLT-PHX-PDX and that's 7,042 miles but with my bonus I get 14,084 and with a fare of $258 I'm getting a pretty good deal.

gregm and Travelsavant like this.
  5. TheCubicleEscapee

Status Points:

yes that is a great deal. Seattle is on my short list to visit, I have never been, so I have been patiently waiting for a cheap flight on UA. :)

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just keep in mind that with spending requirements now in place, mileage runs have to balance with that qualifying spending.

7. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have others besides delta stepped up to this program? I hope I haven't missed anything

8. dotgirl

dotgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious about which FF programs require miles + minimum spend. I live in Seattle, so I focus on AS for my miles, and they have no minimum spend - 20k on AS or 25k on AS/partners gets you MVP status.

9. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta is switching to it, but I haven't heard of any others following yet

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    United Mileage Plus now requires minimum spend to reach elite levels.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage running is also being killed by planes that are full and higher fuel prices. 2-3 cpm used to be easy to beat. We're at a point now where it's cheaper to just buy miles from US Airways, Avianca, Alaska or Turkish or do manufactured spend if we want to go very far away in very nice seats sipping very nice champagne.

12. TheCubicleEscapee

Status Points:
    I know United requires min spending now. Normally I have already met a status by now, but thanks to the spending and I budget fly, I haven't made it just yet.

13. TheCubicleEscapee

Status Points:
    Yeah after trying to learn the formula I am noticing that. I don't see any MR in my future but it was still nice to learn what exactly in entails.

14. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's still offered but you could do HNL-JFK-Japan for a little over .02 per mile. his can work no matter where you live, just give it some thought. You get trips, miles at a good rate, and status with a few trips. That is the only way that I would continue to do mileage runs. When you qualify repeat the process the next year to get that down to about .015 per mile. Also be careful about MS. It may sound like free miles but I'm sure when it comes down it will come down hard. Those that use to do United's Miles and Legs promo in the past know what I'm talking about. Enough said.