Trying to get to South Africa!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Leah403, Feb 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Leah403

Leah403 New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings! I am a total newbie to frequent flier/credit card miles programs, and was hoping to see if there is a way to use points to book flights for my upcoming honeymoon to South Africa in December! I have a Chase Freedom card and recently got the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and by transferring points I currently have 150,000 miles that can be transferred to United (I'll get an additional 40,000 in the next few months for the sign up bonus, but probably need to book my flights before then since we are traveling during peak holiday time). United has two flights from the US to Johannesburg (JFK and Dulles) through South African Airways so I was hoping I could use United points for that, but have no idea if it's possible or if I have enough points. I'm also open to other options of using miles (one of the nice things about the sapphire preferred is I can transfer points to multiple airline programs. If anyone has any suggestions for how to try and use points I'd really appreciate it! We need a flight leaving the US on 12/19 and our return flight from Johannesburg needs to leave 1/2. Thank you!!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

40k UA miles each way per person can get you there, so you'd need 160,000 for two coach round trip tickets.

As for availability, you can check on United's website. Right now it looks like there is no availability on the direct SAA flights on your specific days, but you could fly on Ethiopian with a stop each way in Addis Ababa (on the outbound, there is a 55 min connection, which would make me nervous).

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alternately fly any airline to GRU then SAA from there on to JNB/CPT.

4. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are also direct flights out of JFK. We flew out of Dulles this fall via LHR. I liked getting off the plane and walking around London and then overnighted on SAA to Jo'burg