Trying to get million miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jpeace, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    I am 50K away from 1 million miles on AA. How can I get there without flying all those miles? I am new to the points game and just started this summer to try to earn points. Opened a couple of credit cards to get the points while they still counted. Use the shoping portal to earn miles. Use the new executive card for purchases. I'm not any elite status, so earning points is a slow go. What should my strategy be at this point? :)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry to say but it sounds like you're pretty much doing all that you can be doing at this point. Keep flying, and keep using the new AA World Elite credit card. The other avenues are now closed.

Based on your comment about not having elite status and not getting points, I'm willing to bet you don't fully understand the new million miler program, since status doesn't accelerate your accumulation of MMer miles. Have you read through these yet? Lots of good info in these! :)

AA.com page on MM: LINK.
    MP page on MM: LINK.

sobore and tondoleo like this.
  3. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    :) I've read it, but you are probably correct, in that I don't fully understand it.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do not fly very much, why does it matter when you reach MM status?

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  5. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    I only have 5 trips planned this year, but that is not enough to get me to the 50K I need just by flying. The "when" matters because, as I understand it, after this year I cannot earn any miles using my AA World Elite Executive Card. Maybe the shopping portal as well, not sure about that one. However, the sooner I reach MM, the sooner I have Gold status for life and I can concentration on using my award miles (vs paying) and use upgrades to get out of the middle seat. :)

6. chazas

chazas Active Member

Status Points:
    All you can do at this point is to fly and (for the next year) put charges on your AA credit card. Nothing else counts toward million miler status.

You can use your accumulated miles for awards now, it won't affect your million miler quest.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shopping miles do not count for MM status sadly.

Also, as noted above by chazas, you do not have to keep the miles in order to have them count toward MM status. You can spend them as soon as you get them, they'll still count on your cumulative total. ;)

tondoleo likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the OP understands the difference between redeemable miles and MM miles.

9. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to consider doing a Gold or Platinum challenge. Your flights and schedule might work nicely so some of your trips will be in better seats. Here is a link that may be helpful. Happy flying.

http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/american-aadvantage-elite-status/

10. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    jpeace likes this.
  11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many miles will you get just from flying? You will make gold by flying 25k alone (which will give you gold until early 2014. Unless you requal next year). Thus all you have to do is keep spending on your W/E card this year, fly 25k this year and next and you will get there. (stressing out over Lifetime gold is not worth it. The benefits are the same if you qual year to year gold as having it for life)

I do question what your starting total was and actual MM total is today. If you just started (assuming 0 or close to it) last summer and today are at 950k that is an awful lot of miles in 6 months or so.

12. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of the ten ways you have listed on your blog will help the OP achieve MM status.

As the others have noted above, the only way to increase your MM counter is to fly or use your Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard credit card.

JonNYC and MSPeconomist like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can still earn miles on credit cards, buying, and other ways but the counter to a million won't be moving unless you fly for miles. See more here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

14. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    If status is that important to you then go for a Plat challenge. You will have it after earning 10,000 EQP and if you dont requalify you get a soft landing to Gold.

It is the cheapest way to do an elite status "trial", not having to put in all of the BIS miles, to evaluate whether it benefits your travel patterns or if it is not for you.

jpeace and tondoleo like this.
  15. Albert C. Rollins

Albert C. Rollins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, from what I understand on this post, you only have 5 trips planned this year, already have the WEEXP card, will like to get lifetime GOLD, get out of middle seat, and use your miles for upgrades.
    I suggest you first prioritize the order on achieving your goals and maintain a log of what you have achieved. If you will like to do this in 2012 calendar year, I suggest you bulk up substantially your flying and pay with the WEEXP card, because that you will be one of the few ways to double up, not also you will get LM for the $ spent, but also for the flights flown. With AA offering double elite qualifying miles (provided you sign in to the promo) now is the time to take advantage of this.

tondoleo likes this.
  16. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for the information. A lot to learn!

miles and smiles likes this.
  17. FrequentMiler

Status Points:
    My point was that the OP could use techniques from my blog to put lots of spend on their Citi Executive card. Until the end of this year that would work to earn miles towards MM status. Sorry if I wasn't clear

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until the end of THIS year???? I thought the MM earning rules were changed effective a couple months ago.

19. FrequentMiler

Status Points:
    The rules were changed effective a couple of months ago with one exception: If you carried the Citi Executive card before December 2011, then the points earned on that card would continue to count toward MM throughout 2012. It sounded to me like the OP did have this card.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but as several people here have been saying, most of the stuff in your blog will not help the OP to get MM miles.

21. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    ok. going for the Gold challenge - starting tomorrow. :) If all goes well, I should have it by March 3rd!

desamo likes this.
  22. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were in your shows, here is what I would do:

1. If you got your World Elite Executive card in Nov 2011 or earlier, keep charging as much as possible till 12/31 as those miles will count towards 1MM status. :) If you got it later, the miles won't count and this advice does not matter to you.

2. Sign up for a Platinum challenge starting on or after June 16. You will need to earn 10K EQP within 3 months. This will give you almost 2.5 years of elite status (Platinum till 2/2014, Gold till 2/2015), during which you can qualify for Lifetime Gold. If you begin the challenge before June 16, your elite status will be shortened by one year (Platinum till 2/2013, Gold till 2/2014).

Gold challenge will require only 5K EQP. For challenges begun before JUne 16, the status wll last till 2/2013; begun after June 16, till 2/2014.

AA trips you have already booked would count towards any challenge if they fall within the 3 month period, so plan carefully.

3. At this point you should be pretty close to 1 MM (LT Gold). Keep flying normally and it will happen. Good luck.

23. I am sure, the lifetime gold is for 1 million actual flight miles not miles earned. Call AA desk and check but you don't think they are going to give away perm gold status, for the tricks you are trying.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi mjs52, and welcome to MP! :)

You are correct that most of the "tricks" listed above in the original post do not work for million miler status .... anymore.

They did prior to December of 2011 though, which is the time period the original post was referencing. As you noted, AA decided it was being much too lenient with it's policy on earning permanent status and changed the rules.

In this new climate where only flight miles count (and credit card spending on the new Citibank Executive card), he is curious how he can earn million miler status miles without flying. As seen above, with limited exceptions, he cannot.

Again, welcome to the site and I hope you get to learn a bit and add a bit of knowledge yourself. :)

25. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that with the challenges-- both Platnium and Gold --that both of these are based on elite qualifying points-- based upon the fare you pay--- which aren't always the actual miles you fly. Some discounted coach fares only earn 0.5 elite qualifying points, so be careful. So if for example you were booked in a low coach fare bucket/code and your flight was 2,500 miles, you would only have 1,250 elite qualifying points. I don't have the fare bucket/code acrual list handy, perhaps someone else here does, or did mention it in a link already here. If you're booking on AA.com you should be able to easily find what fare code/bucket you're booked in.