Trying to Figure Out Schedule Pattern to Use Avios

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by merice107, Jun 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to fly ORD-NRT in June 2014 (2 tickets). Specifically on June 6th or 7th. I would rather fly on Japan Airlines First than American First (actually anything Japan over American).

I know there isn't anything showing up that far on the BA site so I decided to look back in the month of May and April 2014. The award space seems very random. Tuesdays seem to have availability on most Tuesdays in April, but I can really seem to find a pattern other than that.

Anybody have any insight on this?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will, on average, be more award space on days where demand for paid tickets is lower. Beyond that, most everything is a guess.

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I check various routes including NRT fairly often. My feeling is that AA is easiest to find, CX second (via HKG) and JAL last. (Ignoring the BA flights via London.) Generally I’m looking at holiday weeks out at about 300 days out. I did see some JAL first flights ORD -> NRT last month the week before thanksgiving, that was surprise, but I think they are gone now.

4. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it seems that the middle of the week has more flights n JAL than the weekends.

On a side note, on the week calendar on the top left of the BA site when searching, days with availability are in blue, days without availability are not (white). There were multiple days that did not show up blue (say May 15th), but when I clicked on them they had JL flights. After I clicked a new day (May 16th), the May 15th day was then in blue. Weird...