Trying to Combine United VDB + e-certificate on one reservation (and maybe even include CO flights)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beofotch, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

In September, I had a customer service incident happen to me and United provided me compensation in the form of a $100 e-certificate. I have the e-certificate # in my e-mail for when it is time to redeem.

Last month, I took a bump on a LAX - SEA flight on UX. The Compensation was $400 paid as 4-$100 paper vouchers.

I would like to use both of these instruments to fly in September 2011 from CLT to Bozeman, MT or Jackson, WY.

I called a United phone support agent (regular line, I have no UA status) to book a trip using both of these vouchers (to total $500) and the phone support agent said they were not allowed to be combined. I then called a United Web Support agent and was told the same thing except that possibly if I booked the flight with the paper vouchers and then went to the airport to surrender the vouchers the airport agent *might* also be able to include the e-certificate in the reservation as a one time exception.

Before I proceed, I have a couple questions into which I am hoping the MilePoint UA sages may be able to provide insight:

1. Is it possible to combine an e-certificate and VDB vouchers on one ticket? If yes, how should I go about doing it?
    2. Would it be possible to use the e-certificate or VDB to buy a refundable fare and then request a credit from that to merger the two certificates into one via two separate credits?
    3. Ideally, I'd like to book flights that are on Continental metal as part of this itinerary. As part of the merger, is it possible to use a) a VDB; b) an e-certificate; or c) a flight credit from United on Continental metal? Or am I stuck with United or United express only.
    Thank you in advance for your insights.

Best regards,

Beofotch

2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you find someone that will actually let you use both the VDB and ecert please post back as I havent been successful getting it done

most (if not every) time you CX a res the refund will go back to the exact means you used to pay for it , so in your case if done correctly the VDB should go back to you as a voucher with the same exp dates although Ive heard where a few people got new ones with a new exp date to it. But you still wouldnt beable to combine the 2 together

things change on a daily basis but the last time I tried to use a UA instrument on anything but UA metal I was shot down, but try doing it online and see if it takes, eventually they will have to allow each others certs and vouchers to be used on any CO or UA flight since it will all be UA, till then what isnt possible today maybe tommorrow

3. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    craz - thanks for your response. I will call in later this week to see how to work it.

Any other insights from the board?