Trying to combine award and paid nights with suite upgrade cert

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Scottrick, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of this trick occasionally working, but I'm looking for some advice from more experienced travelers since this is only my first year as a GP Diamond.

I'm heading to Singapore and Hong Kong in September. Three nights each at the Grand Hyatt Singapore and the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Because I want to use up my suite upgrade certificates and also get some stay credits for requalification, my plan is to book the first night at each hotel on a paid rate and apply a suite upgrade certificate. Ta-da: one night in a suite at each hotel.

Then for nights two and three at SIN I will use points (because the hotel is only 18K/night) and at HKG I will use free night certificates (which are expiring). Now, the question is, how good are my chances that each hotel will just leave me in my suite for nights two and three? I know suite upgrade certificates can't be applied to an award night, but if I'm already in a suite, and I'm a Diamond guest, then maybe...

Heck, I might do it anyway even if they insist on moving me to a standard room for the award stays, but it would be nice to know in advance. Also, SIN seems to have better suites and cheaper rooms, so maybe I should pay for all three nights there and use awards for all three nights in HKG.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick likes this.
  3. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that they will generally allow you to stay in the suite as long as they have availability.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. If you read mms latest about Paris that's what happened.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never done this but I find the staff at the GH SIN to be most accomodating and generous. I'm sure they will let you keep the suite if they have availability.