Trying to book on website, but cant unless segment by segment.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mrx900, Jul 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:

trying to book a C/F award ticket using the United website..but when i put in my desired cities and dates, I get very little if any availability....However, when I put in segment by segment, I get the desired flights at the redemption level I want also..... If I call, I can most likely tell the agent to book the flights I want with the miles I have....but is there a way to do this online so I can dodge the call center fees??

Im trying to book CGN-CLT-PDX....and If I choose multi-city, it says ERROR (im putting in CGN-CLT as first city pair and then CLT-PDX as second city pair--same day travel).

Thoughts? advise? thank you!

harvson3 likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    mrx900 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you specifying departure times on the multi-city version? That might be necessary to get past the error.

Otherwise you can try booking just GCN-CLT and then choosing the pay by phone option to hold the reservation and call in to have web support add the CLT-PDX segment. Then you should be able to complete the transaction online and avoid the fee.

Plan C would be to suck it up and pay the $25 in the name of saving lots more money.

mrx900 likes this.
  4. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seth..thanks for the tips.....I tried what you said ..book the CGN-CLT....it shows available...but at the end after i put credit card info, it says error. This website sucks hehe...I guess ill have to call for accuracy. Do you recommend calling the non U.S. call centers for better service?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to book an LH F award? If so that's probably phantom inventory.

If not, you should be doing the "hold" portion by clicking on the "pay by phone" link on the page where it is asking for your CC number. If you actually put in the CC info and continue there you'll be finalizing the purchase and exposing yourself to fees for changing the destination on the award.

6. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh man..actually, I am ...the segment from MUC-CLT is in F on LH. I didnt know it was a 'phantom' inventory! I thought that only applied to SQ......I only have 7000 miles in there, so it asks me if I wanna hold the reservation and thats the one Im clicking on...........but this thing about phantom seats...thats a bummer. Thats just plain mean of United to display that!

also..if its showing on KVS, does it mean its a phantom also?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    KVS has a number of different "views" based on which website it is reading the data from so the inventory it shows will depend on the method you are using. If looking for LH F I believe that the ANA or AC methods are more reliable than the UA method.

The phantom inventory thing is a problem where the UA site thinks there are award seats to sell but fails on the last step. That's the "phantom" part. With SQ it will just never actually be there so there is no "phantom" out there on those.

8. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    LH Award Availability is accessible via 3 different Engines within the KVS Tool (http://Help.KVSTool.com/#LH) -- which one(s) are you using?

Also, what's the flight #/date?

9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought even award bookings had 24 fee-less change/cancellations!?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cancel, yes. Change, no.

Nothing gets free changes technically.

11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing or just not award flights?

12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    KVS.....Im using
    [KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - ITA: Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA]
    FRI 05 Oct 2012
    LH 1981 CGN-MUC
    LH 428 MUC-CLT

13. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok...since the website isnt worth using....only good for getting an idea of what availability looks like--decided to just use KVS and sure enuff..worked like a champ....found flights on the days i wanted.....called their web-support team and told them these flights are not showing up online, and he waived the $25 fee....booked the flights for me. Justice is sweeet!
    [KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance-7D]

Thank you all for your valuable input & suggestions!

KVS Tool and chitownflyer like this.
  14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, the phantom LH F issue was also affecting aeroplan.com for a while. No idea if they fixed it. But ANA may be the only accurate source these days.

15. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Congratulations on getting your LH F Award!

mrx900 likes this.