Trying to book either SFO or LAX to LIM with BAEC miles

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by k_malm, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and cannot find a single business class ticket on LAN. I have looked for Jan through mid March and cannot find any open seats. Anyone have any advice? All the flights in S America I would like are open with business class seats, but I can't get out of the US!

For the record, I am finding some availability out of MIA, but I really prefer a west coast departure as that is where my friend who is traveling with me and I are located out of.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How have you been looking...with BA EC's buggy system? Have you tried using awardnexus to find space?

3. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was using BA...I forgot about awardnexus! I will try it. Thanks!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    To update: I have used Award Nexus to also find no availability. Looks like I am going to have to book Y. I am so sad and realize I have now lost perspective since I can't get in the class I want. :) I really just wanted to be able to get some sleep on the long flights, which is why I prefer to be up front.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The West Coast flights are much harder to secure space on than the Miami (and New York) flights.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could he route via Mia and fly on AA metal the whole way? That would be a permitted routing, no?

7. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be permitted but as a much higher mileage cost (one partner vs oneword award).

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you stay on AA the whole way it's the cheaper one-partner award I think was the point.

But even with AA/LAN one wouldn't do a distance-based oneworld award, it would be cheaper to do two awards (AA partner award + LAN partner award).

NYBanker likes this.
  9. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right, of course. I missed the part about staying on AA the whole way. As AA has filed a fare for LAX-EZE via MIA and it's not too much further than via LIM it should be allowed.

NYBanker likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking to stay on AA

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have booked it, it is definitely permitted, with BA agents you either get nothing permitted or everything permitted, agents vary markedly -- and with most partner awards you do wind up calling. And hold times can be interminable, so you really hate it when you get a bad agent.

12. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really want to go to Easter Island is the issue. I want the trip to be about 12 days total and see another city beside Easter Island. I found a direct flight that was open and doing some rerouting and changing my itinerary, but now when I call BA the don't see it as available. I even gave them some Y options that they don't see as available. They think it is a BA tech issue.

I really want to go in the spring as it would be complicated after that since I am expecting our first child next year. ;)

13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking recently for a similar trip out of the West Coast. I came to the conclusion it was down to the SJC/SFO/LAX leg not being available. There was a ton of stuff going out of DFW or MIA in FC.

14. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update to anyone interested: after changing my plans and only having one stopover to the destination of choice, I got a trip booked in J! I have direct flights from LAX to SCL both ways and connect to IPC. How? After using Award Nexus to find space, BA couldn't find those seats. I did finally find a BA agent that (is a saint) looked hard and found open seats around the time I wanted to go for the duration I wanted to go. Those seats did not show up anywhere else. I feel like I won the BA agent lottery!

dkelly1110 likes this.
  15. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes that is all it takes. I am traveling to the same destinations (albeit from JFK) in February. Looking forward to it.

k_malm likes this.