Trying to book AA using Avios - I just can't make it work

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by splat, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, about to tear my hair out. I've tried multiple scenarios to book an AA flight on the BA site, I've checked for saver availability on AA, I've broken the flights into segments, still no availability according to BA.

I've even gone through the blogs, followed all arrows and boxes ;), still no go. The only thing that could possibly be different is that many bloggers refer to checking a box that says include partner airlines. When I log in I see no such option.

Suggestions?
    Thanks

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically after your "BA only" search comes up blank the "no results" screen will say something to the effect of "include partners" and you run your search again.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That option doesn't exist any more. Partners should come up automatically.

It's difficult to try to reproduce this unless we know what you're searching for.

4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed....it could be several reasons.

The usual reasons are flights are on Alaska or a partner which ba.com won't show, some indirect routings also won't show or they aren't in the relevant AA award class. Hard to say for sure without knowing the details though.

5. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I think I finally figured it out - user error !
    When checking the AA site I was looking at the full month calendar for saver availability, but didn't drill down on the individual date. When I did that I see connections that I didn't realize were there. Uggggg! I'll get the hang of this someday.

6. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had issues with BA not being able to book AA flights because it wasn't a valid routing, or BA weren't permitted to sell between those two points, so my solution was to just make two separate bookings (BDA-JFK & JFK-YYZ) which costs the same in terms of Avios as it's per-segment anyway.

As long as there's milesAAver availability on a direct flight according to AA.com, I've not encountered many problems finding availability on ba.com