Trying out the new TAM 763ER Business Class

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was invited to sample the new TAM 763 offerings as a correspondent for the Airchive website. The first part of the story is now online.

The new business class seat is very comfortable and the service on board was warm and efficient. The flight attendants were friendly and willing to go along with my requests for an extra appetizer or a different jam than what they had out for the regular service. And the selection on the AVOD IFE system was impressive, more than enough to keep me entertained throughout the trip. The seat is a bit short, and I still have some concern about getting into the fully flat position, but the layout without a foot “cubby” is a nice one and overall I found it a very pleasant flight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos and the full write up here.

zpaul, OY-JFS, Merlin and 5 others like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious, where did TAM put you up when in Rio?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    TAM previously flew these routes with quite nice A330's with four FC seats also. Business class, which i never flew, had angled flat seats IIRC. These old 767's are actually LAN B767's that were all to be retired not too long ago. All considered I think this is actually a downgrade.

zpaul and Merlin like this.
  4. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, the 767-300ER that went to TAM seems all to be delivered to LAN from Boeing in 2012, and would not call these aircraft old. I flew two of the newest LAN Airlines 767-316ER winglets CC-BDO FRA-MAD-SCL on August 21st/22nd and CC-BDN SCL-MAD-FRA on August 28th/29th. Compared with the old SAS 767-383ER in the late 1990s and early 2000s, the LAN 763w is a totally different aircraft - both on the inside and what they are capable to do (great circle distance MAD-SCL is 10 700 km - the longest scheduled 763 flight in the world).

[​IMG]

The LAN IFE units are the same units that Norwegian Long Haul uses in their 788, both it was clear to see LAN didn't have the latest software for them. I have a map fetish and on board the Norwegian 788 you can select what view you want - even 3D map were you can rotate the view as you wish, but the best preset was the cockpit view with flight instruments overlay.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is quite good news and may explain why Seth was invited on the flight also. The local conversations I had indicated that these are identical to all the other LAN 767-300's as far as seating is concerned. If not that is a good thing. I was booked on one of these with LAN, GIG-MIA but the flight was cancelled when the 787's were grounded. Now that the flight is back they've relabeled it as a TAM flight, apparently.

On a semi-related point the local press is reporting that Latam will gradually have more fleet harmonization and will move to a single name within the next three years. We'll see. So far they seem to be keeping to the schedule and gradually reducing TAM staffing in the process of shutting down unprofitable routes.

zpaul and Merlin like this.
  6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I saw at SCL and PMC there is definitely room for staff reduction and a higher utilization of the fleet at LAN too if these two airports are representative for the LAN operation.

jbcarioca likes this.