Trying a Lifestyle Change

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by Funtodoimpossible, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every year for as long as I can remember, I've made the same New Year's Resolution, to loose weight and to have a healthier lifestyle. Every year as for as long as I can remember, I was lucky if I'd last a week before going back to my old habits, all the while, my weight continued to creep upwards and I became even more sedentary.

At the start of 2013, I finally had enough. I finally took stock in my situation. I had turned 35 a couple months earlier and I was standing there at 6 feet tall and weighing 315 pounds. I knew from experience that things like Atkins and eDiets meal plans wouldn't work for me. Sure they will help you get the weight off, but they don't teach you anything about how to keep it off, so the minute you step off the plan it is very easy to fall off the wagon and gain the weight back.

I decided the only way that I was going to do this was with a lifestyle change that I could live with, otherwise I would end up back in this same boat again. What I've been doing so far:

Joined Weight Watchers Online - This has been the best tool I could have found so far. It is helping me learn potion control and what foods are really bad for me. The program also encourages you to eat fruits and vegetables. Most of them are 0 points so I can have an apple if I'm feeling puckish rather then a candy bar.

Eliminated drinking of soda - I used to drink 3-4+ cans a day. Now, I'm lucky if I have 1 or 2 cans a week. Unsweetened iced tea has become my favorite beverage :)

More activity - This has ranged from taking the stairs at work whenever possible to walking 2-3 miles around town after work. This has been the most recent addition. I enjoy walking outdoors, and it's only been since April that its been warm enough to do this. As long as I'm doing something that I enjoy doing, it is much easier to get off the sofa and do it. (The gym or a treadmill would fall into this category for me.)

After four months of doing this, I'm down about 30 pounds and feel better then I have in years.

Has anyone else thought about doing this or have done it? I'm interested in what other people have done.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

Congratulations!! :D

I come from thickly built people and weight control is an ongoing issue for me. I am 5'10" and currently at 242 lbs. I was up to 260 at one point and have been as low as 223 in the past few years. My issue is I exercise regularly for 8-12 months and enjoy it, then travel or something interrupts my regimen and then I stop. It literally comes to a halt and then it's a long time before I start again. I cannot explain it.

3. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done, Funtodoimpossible Man! The eighty-odd pounds I've dropped from my 5' 7" frame in the past couple of years I credit to changing the size of eating utensil I use. I only eat with an iced tea spoon now, instead of the two larger size spoons in the set. We also only drink unsweetened tea, with the Lipton Cold Brew bags being the beverage of choice.

I have to go back to monitoring the World Crisis Monitor now- but congrats on the weight loss!

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big congrats !!!!
    I've been on both ends of the spectrum a few times, from low single digit bodyfat % to VERY heavy, currently I'm more towards latter end. Like you it takes a serious personal commitment to make it happen, I'm reaching that point. I need to find a mid range that is healthy but doesn't take up as much time as when I've been in super shape.

Keep it up and find that weight that is right for your body, I think that is the toughest thing to do.

5. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    How goes the battle, Funtodoimpossible Man? :)

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's something I wanna know too, how's going?

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    My highest weight was 330. I am currently down to 290, and have been bobbing around there. I have very poor willpower when it comes to food. However, I have been trying to move more... I got a Fitbit and strive to hit 10,000 steps every day. I count calories, but saturdays are a cheat day for me.

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    For many years my weight was mostly in the 215-225 range (I'm 6' 1"). Last September I herniated two disks and realized that I had to start paying much more attention to my health, exercise, lifestyle. As I healed my back, I added more stretching and exercise to my life. And I dropped all baked goods from my diet. With that and some fasting, I lost about 25 pounds over about 5 months. Since the Spring my weight has stabilized around 195. Other than having to get all my pants altered or having to buy new ones, it's been a 100% good change. I do have hopes of eventually losing a few more pounds, but with the onset of cooler weather, I can tell that won't happen in the immediate future.
    Last week I started working with a personal trainer, and I am looking forward to adding more exercise into my life. It probably means spending less time at the computer, but more time smiling because I feel better. :)

9. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been better...with the holidays and everything else coming up. I'm pretty much holding steady...which is a good thing. There is just too much good food to eat this time of year :)

10. David_McC

David_McC Member

Status Points:
    To change health/diet, the first thing to do is to change your philosophy. You being overweight is because of your philosophy about food and health.

Read "Men's health diet" great book for the philosophy on becoming healthier (losing or gaining weight).

bobsgt and fisherman14 like this.
  11. fisherman14

fisherman14 New Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your weight loss! I believe it is all about mind over matter. You just have to keep in mind that you are eating to stay healthy and nourished and not to eat everything on the table. I too, struggled with food for most of my teenage years so finding the right balance, and food portions can really make the difference.

bobsgt likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 5"6 and I weigh 165 so I want to eat healthier and work out more often to get down to 145-150 with muscle mass and burn off the fat.

I became lazy and sedentary after a break up in January but thankfully kept up with my sensibilities. So it's time for me to stop being lazy and get my 6 pack back!