Trusted traveller update for Canadian travellers in US

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by guinnessxyz, Dec 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I am putting this in the AC forum because it affects AC fliers the most:
    Received this email from Nexus :

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is partnering with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for , an initiative that allows eligible passengers to qualify for expedited screening at participating U.S. airports.
    Canadian citizens who are traveling domestically in the United States who are members of NEXUS are now qualified to participate in .
    If TSA determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening through , information is imbedded in the barcode of the passenger's boarding pass. TSA reads the barcode at the designated checkpoint and passengers may be referred to the lane where they will undergo expedited screening, which could include being able to leave their shoes, light outerwear and belt on, allowing them to keep their laptops in their cases and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bags in their carry-ons.
    Passengers do not need to show their CBP Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS cards) to use a lane. Members interested in participating in through their NEXUS membership must enter their PASS ID into the ‘Known Traveler’ field when booking a flight reservation or saving their PASS ID to their airline’s frequent flyer profile. Members can find their PASS ID either online through their GOES account or on the back of their membership card in the top-left corner.
    When traveling on one of the participating airlines, CBP Trusted Traveler members should remember to provide the airline with their full name, date of birth and PASS ID exactly as it appears in their CBP Trusted Traveler program online account to ensure they are properly considered for .
    To learn more, visit www.tsa.gov.
    This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typical of TSA -- you have to show an ID to them -- but they have to look two places.

DTWBOB

3. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is more and more complicated.... Wasnt the past method working?

When i went through SEA's expedited security lane, i just showed my NEXUS card as ID with boarding pass and all is well.

YULtide likes this.
  4. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is for TSA Pre Check... It has been in place for months for Canadians on US only itineraries... They are just slow in sending out the email. It really is a great program, and allows you to go through the screening process so fast, that you are left thinking I must be forgetting my belt, shoes or phone it was so quick!

Basically put your bag on the belt... walk through the metal detector, and pick up your bag on the other side...

5. That's the way I understood it when first announced and the email possibly means not a lot of people are yet using it. I don't travel much to the US anymore so haven't any experience with it there. Thanks for the update.

6. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the kicker is you have to be travelling with your PassID in your Frequent Flyer Profile for UA, AA etc. Im going to bet most canadians, even with travelling in the us solely are still listing AE as their frequent flyer program...

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to originate and terminate at a US airport to qualify.

On US itineraries I usually clear in the US since I originate at YQR. I was hoping that my US security adventure would be Pre eligible, but it seems that that's not the case, even though after clearing US Customs I am in effect a US domestic passenger.

Those in Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal, who are close to US airports and choose to use them, can take advantage of this, but for me, I'd have to fly out of MOT, ISN or BIS and they aren't exactly low-cost airports compared to YQR.

8. I think that will change when both Countries sign off on the new security pact they are wroking. Everything will then work on a NA basis with effectively no border for Nexus/Global entry users

9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, when I was in Seattle I didnt even need to add my Pass number to my booking reference......I just showed my NEXUS Card to the TSA Precheck agent

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where within the US were you travelling? Can't be used if any segment includes "foreign" travel. Though TSA agent may not be aware of all the details and let you through.

Since it's only for intra-US flights, there's no point for AC to have us input this number with other information.

11. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SEA-YVR on AC Jazz......

Surprisingly our inbound flight several days earlier was met with US CBP officers on the tarmac too

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    US CBP always has the right to reclear or meet a flight that's been precleared.

13. Knowing you were on the flight precipitated that:D