Trump Turnberry, Ayrshire, Scotland (Review)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Sep 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

I stayed here with my wife for one night in August 2014. We wished we had booked a week instead. This was one of the best stays I have had at a hotel, and this hotel is now our new favourite. We're currently trying to figure out how to get back here ;)

I'm a Plat with SPG, and we received an upgrade to one of the four suites, as well as access to the pool, etc.

The good

-the staff were incredible: friendly, extremely professional, proactive and considerate
    -the duty manager came out to greet us and show us around: he really set the tone for the stay
    -the property is stylish and unique
    -the location is stunning
    -the restaurant exceeded expectations, and the staff then went and did so again
    -the pool is beautiful, large, serene
    -lots of activities apart from the golf the hotel is famous for (we went horse riding arranged through the hotel and had an excellent time)

The bad

-if I really had to scrape for something to say here, a couple of staff members were perhaps not up to the same standard as their colleagues (but certainly not a problem)
    -it's quite out of the way?
    -it's not cheap, but we felt we got excellent value for money

This was a dreamlike stay. The staff were great, anticipating our requests and creating an excellent atmosphere.

We did not expect to find this level of service and quality, and we can't wait to return. Already looking forward to the next visit :D
    uggboy, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Why the hell would such a classy and prestigious property would want to have Donald Trumps name ..the self-promoting blow-hard ( my most charitable description of the clown :mad:) associated with it is beyond me.

I do agree IMHO this is one of SPG best's property worldwide. We stayed there a few years ago.. 2010???.. the year the British Open was held at Turnberry course and when it was the plain old Westin Turnberry and got upgraded to one of the very nice corner suites directly facing the golf course and the Irish Sea. On clear days you could see the Isle of Arran the little island just off-shore and some claim even Ireland.

Got a great photo of that world famous golf hole # 6???(near the lighthouse) where you tee off and the flag is on the other side of the cliff with only the sea in between:).

Nearby Culzean Castle is my second favorite castle in Scotland.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  3. allbrosca

allbrosca Active Member

I don't think they had a choice. My understanding is that he bought it. They seem to have a different impression of him over there, depending on who you talk to. If they are working for him in Aberdeen or at Turnberry, they seem pretty happy.
    uggboy and sendaiben like this.