True Thai Stories #03 Standing Room only at the Inn

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Federicoita, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Federicoita

Federicoita Silver Member

Status Points:
    For all my Aussie friends and those who would like to be (either Aussie or friends)

It is one hour before my night flight and the Stella Artois is sitting just as relaxed in her glass as I am on the chair of this bistro. I have just enough time to say cheers to my parting friends, drink up the amber liquid and I am airborne.

IMG_1732.JPG

One day later...
    I am strolling down lower Sukhumvit, odd numbered side of the soi, re-tracing my steps to one of my favourites music joints in latter times, Check Inn 99.

IMG_1744.JPG

Good old Chris, a fantastic Aussie and a gentleman, has turned around the fortune of this bar in less than 12 months and what a difference he has made.

IMG_1745.JPG

First class international singers Cherry, Grace and Donna are in full flow when I enter. I head upstairs to the mezzanine partly because I like the view from above and partly because the place is full but Mama Noi is doing a good job as always to keep everyone happy.

IMG_1746.JPG

I love this iconic bar located between Soi 5 & 7 on Sukhumvit Road (with its small alley-way entrance) opposite the Landmark Hotel. It is friendly, the drinks come presto pronto, the music is fantastic and the flags are up ready to commemorate a very special Australian Rock Classic Night.

IMG_1751.JPG

The crowd here is not rowdy and the staff do not push you for drinks. This is where the long timers come along with the transient connoisseurs. Everybody’s welcome at the Inn. It is not so much about decor as it is about service and that reliable feeling that it is going to be a good night like all nights tend to be here. It is not surprising, perhaps, that on Tripadvisor it ranks number one for nightlife in Bangkok.

IMG_1752.JPG

Its resident “Music of the Heart” band own the stage like little bright stars in a clear and cloudless night. Each of their performances is heart warming and every time I think that I should go, I end up ordering another drink because the music is that good.

IMG_1753.JPG

With jazz jam sessions on Sundays and themed parties throughout the year, this is a great place where to come and relax after a long flight from Europe or any other time you happen to be in the vicinity.

IMG_1755.JPG

Only that you may have to come in early to secure a front seat, ‘cause it’s busy here these days and it’s only standing room at the Inn.

Post scriptum for all my Aussie friends and anyone who, like me, is always happy to put another shrimp on the barbie and blend in with the fellows from this very fine nation (fellows = meant for both genders of course).

IMG_2768.JPG

Check Inn 99 will be hosting a great party on Australia Day on Saturday 26 January 2013 and, I am told that they may try a few new things including a reading of the great Australian classic poem “The Man from snowy riverwritten by Australian bush poet Banjo Paterson.

IMG_2769.JPG

Here is the beginning...if you want to hear it all, you know where to go. If you see me there, the first drink is on me!!!

There was movement at the station, for the word had passed around
    That the colt from old Regret had got away,
    And had joined the wild bush horses - he was worth a thousand pound,
    So all the cracks had gathered to the fray.
    All the tried and noted riders from the stations near and far
    Had mustered at the homestead overnight,
    For the bushmen love hard riding where the wild bush horses are,
    And the stockhorse snuffs the battle with delight.

Giorgio Federico, occasionally an Aussie.

Kalboz and sobore like this.