Trouble Creating Seat Alert

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by Pizzaman, Dec 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't used the seat alert feature in the past, but have decided I'm getting sick of 27E on United flights. I've keyed in my UA #, and read through all the guides and FAQs, as well as threads here. However, when I try to create a seat alert, I get the following message for a flight that's not due to take off for about 3 days:

There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: AIRPORT CHECKIN ONLY

Now, the seat map does show full on UA.bomb right now. But, I feel like I'm missing the part where I actually create the alert. If I'm missing something obvious, I'll just chalk it up to Stupid Italian Syndrome.

2. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    No worries Pizzaman, it's not your fault. The problem is that even though UA may be showing the Seat Map on UA.com, they're not showing it via the GDS, instead they are returning that error message to us. The flight may be close to sold out or there is some other reason why United doesn't want travel agents being able to pre-assign seats for your flight. Either way without a Seat Map, you can't create a Seat Alert.

You should check back later or tomorrow to see if the seat map is displayed. If it is, you will be given Seat Alert creation options next to the seat map.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Is this common for UA flights?

4. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Not very, but it could depend on the flight. You can look at the same flight the day before/after yours (assuming it's scheduled those days) to see if it's just that day or that flight.

As an example, all of the seat maps for tomorrows UA 891 from JFK-LAX leaving at 6:40am are viewable.