Trouble booking LAN partner awards ("phantom" availability on BA+QF tools)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dickerso, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dickerso

dickerso Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a trip for my mom to Temuco, Chile in February, 2013. There is wide open economy availability on LAN according to the BA.com website and the QF tool from Award Nexus, but when I called AA, they said there was literally nothing for the whole month. Why in the world would LAN open to those partners but not AA? I am suspecting a technical glitch rather than an actual lack of availability, but I have already suggested searching LA rather than LP for the airline code, etc. What else can I do? Has anyone else run into this or gained insight into the issue?

2. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you searching for this as part of a larger award ticket, say USA-ZCO, for example? Or, are you search for SCL-ZCO on it's own? If the former, that probably isn't an allowable routing for a single AAward ticket, will require 2 awards in all likelihood (USA-SCL and SCL-ZCO.)

3. dickerso

dickerso Active Member

Status Points:
    I was simply asking for any availability for MIA to SCL, but why should I need a second booking for ZCO if there's award availability that AA has access to?

4. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a constructed fare from MIA to ZCO: MIA-SCL + SCL-ZCO as opposed to a published fare routing of MIA-ZCO.

Accordingly will require 2 AAwards. Cannot be done as a simple N.America->S.America award using AA all-partner award.

That's why you're seeing availability on other OW carriers that don't have such restriction but AA cannot reproduce as a single award.

Mike Reed and DestinationDavid like this.
  5. dickerso

dickerso Active Member

Status Points:
    Nothing personal, but I think you're dropping black pearls here.

I ultimately didn't fully resolve the phantom availability issue, but by compromising on dates, classes, and taking AA metal instead of LAN, I was able to ticket an award ticket all the way to ZCO, priced as a single award. If AA calls me up and wants to renege on the whole deal, I will certainly notify people in this thread.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What does "dropping black pearls" mean? I get the jist of what you're trying to say, but I even Googled it and couldn't nail it down. :confused:

Glad it all worked out for you, being flexible and compromising on dates is one of the better ways of securing award inventory.

With regards to your comments to JonNYC though, I can't help but laugh. It's a bit like asking for tips on how to play better basketball, having Michael Jordan show up to give you pointers, and then brushing it off. :cool:

Hope your Mom has a smooth flight to Chile. Are you flying her in business class?

7. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the same and at the end concluded; "what an ungrateful, confused, convoluted, n00b dope"

YMMV.

newbluesea likes this.
  8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the phantom AA award availability for OneWorld partners and the phantom LH and Star award availability for United awards are related? I think both UA & AA might acquire their award inventory for their respective alliance partners systems that may be using the same IT backbone which is sending the phantom inventory.

9. dickerso

dickerso Active Member

Status Points:
    [quote="chitownflyer, post: 1449848, member: 2099"I think both UA & AA might acquire their award inventory for their respective alliance partners systems that may be using the same IT backbone which is sending the phantom inventory.[/quote]

That's an idea, although I guess the problem would actually be on BA and UA's end as BA is the one with the (possible) phantom inventory (I haven't called BA or Quantas to see if they could actually book those seats).

JonNYC, I appreciate that you have made enormous contributions to this community, but, in a strict sense, your contribution to this thread was off the narrow topic I had requested information on (phantom inventory) and what you averred about the ticketing rules did not seem sensible to me (the award chart is for NA to SA, not NA to gateway SA cities) and counter-factual to my own experience.

I make no claim of absolute knowledge of AA's rules, and the itinerary I was able to ticket may in fact violate those rules. But, with maximum mileage rules, connection times, etc., if we can consistently find ticketing agents willing to violate those rules, I can't imagine this community wouldn't care to hear about it, so I'll just put my own experience out there: AA let me book from DEN to ZCO as a single award. Again, if something comes up later where AA tries to reverse course, I'll try to let everyone know through this thread.

DestinationDavid, It will be business down, economy on the way up, but we're still looking for LAN Business inventory to open up and switch from AA to LAN.

10. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're still not understanding. You stated the because BA and QF tool showed you availability that AA did not agree with that there was "phantom availability." Based on this one, specific itinerary.

I then explained to you why that was not the case and why AA would not let you book LAN's MIA-SCL as part of MIA-SCL-ZCO as a single award even though BA and QF would.

My post was most certainly NOT "off the narrow topic"-- it answered the EXACT question you were "asking"-- it was just too complicated for you to understand-- and continues to be. But for 100% certain it is most definitely not "off the narrow topic"-- it IS the topic (why QF and BA tools show you something that AA won't let you ticket as an award using LA to SCL)-- you really can't see that??

On the off-chance that a AAgent set up some kind of exception or found a way to make it happen with some work-around in a way we can't immediately see, that STILL doesn't make your theory of "phantom availability!!" correct. But I can see your face curling up as you read this instead of actually trying to comprehend it, so I'll stop.

And, since my answer didn't fit your overall "mine, mine, mine, mine!" mindset, you decided it must be me who doesn't know what he's talking about or that I was "dropping black pearls"-- even though you're the only one who even knows what the **** that means in the context of an adult, intelligent conversation (speaking of my side only here.)

Even though-- and read this part carefully and slowly so you don't get confused--nearly every single piece of non-public AAdvantage award info that is now in the public domain has one genesis source; me. Hundreds and hundred of lines of non-published, non-public info on the true nitty gritty of these awards-- all from my posts on FT and TB.

Using AA as the over-water carrier has always meant far more flexibility-- everybody else who follows these things closely knows this, you just discovered it, I would have explained it had you asked. But now I won't waste even an additional SECOND with you on this and your cryptic, incomplete and asinine posts/theories.

11. dickerso

dickerso Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, sorry for the vitriol in this thread.

Anyway, the issue I was experiencing was a different one than the one you are addressing (this is more clear from my second post, but I certainly agree that my OP did not define this distinction at all).

This wasn't an issue of availability on BA/QF of MIA to ZCO, it was only MIA to SCL. I never even bothered to try to put together an entire DEN to ZCO itinerary on the BA tool, I was only searching by segments.

The fundamental issue remains: BA/QF are saying that LAN has 9+ open seats from MIA to SCL on a given flight, AA sees zero, even before I was asking them to route me all the way to ZCO.

When I asked the AA agents to just go to SCL rather than ZCO, it was the same answer: no availability on that LAN segment. It still seems like phantom availability to me (although perhaps "phantom" is the wrong term; perhaps I'm asking why is there differing partner availability from MIA to SCL for BA and Quantas than what LAN seems to be providing to AA assuming there isn't some sort of technical issue at play here).